How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Waves Audio AAX DSP ??

I'm sure my boss is going to ping me any minute now and tell me to get back to work. :) So forgive me if I don't answer any more of these posts for a little while. I just wanted to pop in and clear a few things up.

Dave
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Dave,

As an HDX user, I thank you for your posts here.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Dave,

As an HDX user, I thank you for your posts here.
And as both a musician AND a tech geek (and EE) - thanks for the explanations Dave T.

QAPLA!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTremblay View Post
I'm sure my boss is going to ping me any minute now and tell me to get back to work. :) So forgive me if I don't answer any more of these posts for a little while. I just wanted to pop in and clear a few things up.

Dave
They should give you a raise, this is the best info. we have received on the forum in a long time.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 PM

A bridge is a good way to put it. Waves is choosing not to follow (though didn't they already commit to AAX Native?), whereas a lot of 3rd party developers are. I am sure I'm not alone in choosing Avid and HDX for my future over using 10+ years old Waves plugins. I'd love to see them on DSP and not lose my investment in Waves Platinum TDM, but I honestly won't miss them that much, there are already plenty of better alternatives.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Also you'll be able to use waves Aax native and the rest of your plug ins can run on the dsp's. mixing native and dsp plug ins is working exceptionally well. Much better then on Tdm.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
A bridge is a good way to put it. Waves is choosing not to follow (though didn't they already commit to AAX Native?), whereas a lot of 3rd party developers are. I am sure I'm not alone in choosing Avid and HDX for my future over using 10+ years old Waves plugins. I'd love to see them on DSP and not lose my investment in Waves Platinum TDM, but I honestly won't miss them that much, there are already plenty of better alternatives.
Actually Chris... you're in a very small minority at the moment. I've heard estimates from a very reliable source of only a few hundred HDX cards sold and maybe a 1000 or more in the channel sitting on shelves unsold. There are over 100,000 TDM systems out there. That said if it's working for you and you have the plug-ins you need.... great.

However, to be brutally honest, IMO your take on the HDX plug-in situation is optimistic. There are some major players who have yet to commit to HDX and may never do so....There have already been some major losses like TC, Amp/Echo Farm, Virus Indigo.

Whatever your feelings about Waves they are THE big player. Over 200 plug-ins I think. That's more plug-ins than ALL the other developers put together.

See my list of what's missing here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=329408
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Actually Chris... you're in a very small minority at the moment. I've heard estimates from a very reliable source of only a few hundred HDX cards sold and maybe a 1000 or more in the channel sitting on shelves unsold. There are over 100,000 TDM systems out there. That said if it's working for you and you have the plug-ins you need.... great.

However, to be brutally honest, IMO your take on the HDX plug-in situation is optimistic. There are some major players who have yet to commit to HDX and may never do so....There have already been some major losses like TC, Amp/Echo Farm, Virus Indigo.

Whatever your feelings about Waves they are THE big player. Over 200 plug-ins I think. That's more plug-ins than ALL the other developers put together.

See my list of what's missing here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=329408
Well maybe you're reliable source ain't so reliable. The supplier I do most of my business with (studio economik) in my region is constantly ordering new stock pile, and it's not because he only holds a card at a time. Last time I went there his first floor was lined up with boxes of HDX cards and HDI/O ready to be picked up by the buyers, others supplier like CEV have reported the same thing. His (studio economik) biggest buyers was the 6 tv network (SRC (TV), CBC (TV), CBC radio 1 and 2, TVA, V-TV, CFCF-12, Astral Media network) not counting the radio stations and many of the professional studios in the area, which all upgraded in the past year. We're talking of over 100 cards just there (SRC and CBC although both own by the gov as the national TV network have different head offices and broadcast studios and broadcast studios around Canada) have by themselves 12 audio suite studios (in Quebec, I'm not sure how many in the rest of Canada), 4 mobile audio truck for live shows. Although as surface control they have a mix of Icon d control and system 5's all of their suite have been upgraded from HD3's and up to HDX2s and 3's. That's a reliable source of mine who actually works there that told me, they do have to work on their website as it's almost 5 years out of date for some stuff lol. And that's just an example. TVA, V-TV, CFCF-12 and astral media have all done the same too. They all have multiple audio suites studios and broadcast truck that had HD's system which are now with HDX systems. Not to mention the radio stations and other pro studios in Quebec and around Canada.

You're 100 cards is already coming really short just with that. I'm not saying that your source didn't tell you that, what I'm saying is that your source is misinformed.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Read my post properly. I didn't say 100 cards. I said a few hundred cards and a lot of unsold cards in the dealer channel. The post pro people are just about the only people who need large track counts that are the buying the card in numbers.

If you knew who my source was it would scare the crap out of you.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Waves is punishing (well they think they are) Avid plain and simple for AAX - Avid needed a Plugin platform that would work 32 Bit for TDM and 64 Bit for HDX and Native WITHOUT the need for ANOTHER software recode.
Waves customers have RTAS for now - Waves will have to re-code for AAX - they have no choice. Waves needs Avid more than Avid needs Waves.
In 2002 Waves was the plug-in king but now it's 2012 Waves is no longer king there are so MANY options and plug-ins that way beyond what Waves offers now.
Now Waves spend thousands of dollars recoding their own CP scheme that is broken ( I guess they could not remember Waves Key)
Waves we are are upgrading to AAX wether you like it or not.
Lead, follow or get out the way!
Sink or swim Waves the ball is in your end!
Closed Thread