Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-18-2018, 02:27 AM

Default Pro Tools not following my layout tracks

This shouldn't be that complicated, but for some reason I can't have Pro Tools following my layout tracks when I select them on S3.
Tried all kind of settings and nothing seems to work, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Running last versions of Pro Tools Ultimate and EuControl
Old 12-19-2018, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not following my layout tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoleitao View Post
This shouldn't be that complicated, but for some reason I can't have Pro Tools following my layout tracks when I select them on S3.
Tried all kind of settings and nothing seems to work, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Running last versions of Pro Tools Ultimate and EuControl
Layouts are designed to be independent of what you're seeing on the Pro Tools screen. That's a feature, not a bug!

But what are you trying to do? Maybe I don't fully understand the objective.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Layouts are designed to be independent of what you're seeing on the Pro Tools screen. That's a feature, not a bug!

But what are you trying to do? Maybe I don't fully understand the objective.
Hi Reichman

Basically what I need is to have the edit window to show me all the tracks that belong to layouts.

thanks
Old 12-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Maybe Eddie can weigh-in with a better suggestion, but that's not what layouts were intended for. Instead, make markers that show/hide the 16 tracks you need and leave the S3 in standard banking mode. You can assign marker selection on the surface, too. Anyway, this will tightly sync the view between the edit window and the surface. Make sense?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 AM

I don't think that you can do this on the S3.

Considering the power and flexibility of markers, if you had an option to display markers across the top row of the S3...
THAT would be cool.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 AM
Avid

Thats not how Layouts work...as others have said Markers are the way to go. With the new Scroll into View banks surface coming in the upcoming release it will help too.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thats not how Layouts work...as others have said Markers are the way to go. With the new Scroll into View banks surface coming in the upcoming release it will help too.
I knew about show/hide markers option but doesn't seem the best way if I still want to use layouts.
I also understand layouts weren't design for this purpose, but it would be nice to have them work both ways around.

thanks everyone
Old 12-20-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoleitao View Post
I knew about show/hide markers option but doesn't seem the best way if I still want to use layouts.
I also understand layouts weren't design for this purpose, but it would be nice to have them work both ways around.

thanks everyone
hugoleitao:

I hear you, but I'll give you one example: discontiguous track selection. It lets you present the PT mixer in ways that aren't reflected on the screen. Would be impossible to tell PT to bank to a layout like that.

Back to markers: I believe you can reassign your Left Control keys on the S3 to do marker selection instead of layout selection. Or you can assign a page of soft keys on PT|Control. This should give you a pretty solid workflow.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 AM

Another solution would be add a macro or combination key command to a layout. For example, when saving a layout, give the option to add the key command .3* (or .3. for memory location) to recall a Window Configuration with the layout. Eddie, is this possible down the road?

Honestly, I’ve never once wanted ProTools to follow my surface Layouts. Often times I’m adjusting the audio parameters of one off screen track on the surface while editing a clip or something else on screen. It’s an efficient workflow for mixing but I can see reasons behind wanting that functionality.

It can be done with soft keys but would require a two button push. Probably taking an extra second.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Another solution would be add a macro or combination key command to a layout. For example, when saving a layout, give the option to add the key command .3* (or .3. for memory location) to recall a Window Configuration with the layout. Eddie, is this possible down the road?

Honestly, I’ve never once wanted ProTools to follow my surface Layouts. Often times I’m adjusting the audio parameters of one off screen track on the surface while editing a clip or something else on screen. It’s an efficient workflow for mixing but I can see reasons behind wanting that functionality.

It can be done with soft keys but would require a two button push. Probably taking an extra second.
Yes. This would be something that will effectively work for me, having options is always a time saver, specially in post