Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Default Render track with Insert

Hello,
What is the best way to permanently render a new track using an insert in pro tools? For example, I have the Auto-Tune evo plug in. I would like to create a new 'tuned' track so the auto tune does not have to continually process the track in real time. What approach would you recommend?
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Render track with Insert

Take the outputs of your effected track and change them to a buss, in this case a mono buss (buss 5, etc.). Set up a new mono audio track and set the inputs of that to match that buss. Record enable that track, hit the main record button and go. You may need to adjust your level on the first track so it's not clipping the record track (sometimes plugins might add a little bit to the level).

When you're done, deactivate the first track with the plugin on it to save processing power. Don't delete it, but deactivate so you can always go back and make changes if you need to.

One other thing about Autotune Evo specifically, it has a certain amount of latency. If you're on LE there's no automatic compensation for that and it will be delayed slightly, both on the original track and the one it's recorded to. You will want to compensate for this on the new recorded track by nudging it back whatever amount of samples is necessary (after you've recorded it).
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Great, thanks for the reply.
I'll try this tonight and let you know how I get on.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM

I just added something to my post about Evo while you were replying so you may want to read it again.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 AM

The solution for the latency is simple. Once the new audio is recorded(processed by the plugin from the original track), zoom way in and use Tab to Transient to find the leading edge of the original audio. Nudge the new audio to line up and you are spot on(or you could actually use SPOT mode if you're game to learn how). Here's another option for you as well; once you have the plugin dialed so it works as you want, save the settings on the plugin as a preset. Now remove the insert, highlight the audio and call up the same plugin from the AudioSuite menu, recall your preset and process the track in place.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 AM

Just to expand on Albee's post about using the spot function, if you record to another audio track then all you need to do is 'tab to transient' the original and note when it starts, then go into spot mode and select your new recorded region and set it to the same start location.

Or if you CMD click twice on where the value is for the level under the fader, it will tell you how many samples it is delayed by, then compensate on the other tracks with a short delay insert.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Worked a treat!

Thanks all for the info :)