Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Default mBox and PT 7= High Pitched Whine

Yesterday I upgraded to PT 6.9 and everything was fine. Today I upgraded to Pro Tools 7 and now I get a high pitched whine from my speakers when PT or DigiCoreAudio is running. When PT launches, as soon as the screen says "creating DAE Objects" the whine starts. It is very annoying.
System is G4 Dual 1.25 GHz w/ 1.5 GSdram OS 10.4.3 Original mBox.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: mBox and PT 7= High Pitched Whine

I can confirm this behavior with PT7 LE.

G5 dual 1.8, 1 Gig ram, 10.4.2, Original Mbox.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:24 AM

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and the entire PT set up is hosed now. Can't launch anymore with a -1505 error. 2 days ago the set up was PERFECT now it is hosed. And uninstalling has corrupted my once perfect Logic set up (No I don't use mBox with Logic).
What about the whine? Why is it there? Should I e-mail tech support directly on this?
J
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

I have a similar problem but not on PT7. About three days ago (11/14) suddenly there's this faint but audible high-pitched whine/buzz coming out of the headphone jack of my Mbox. It's running PT6.9 LE on Panther on a MacMini. We got the setup in May 2005 and it's run like a champ until now.

FWIW, if you jack up the RAM to 1GB, those MacMinis are pretty good for light Protools editing (six tracks or fewer)....and they're just so teeny-tiny.

Anyways, when Protools is not running, the whine disappears. Disconnecting all cables from the back of the Mbox (save for the USB cord) has no affect. Changing the input type (mic/line/instrument) has a very minor and temporary effect; you can hear the pitch of the whine change slightly for a second or so, that's it. Twisting the input/playback knob to input makes the whine disappear, as you'd expect; it's coming from the output somehow.

However, I have a DAT machine connected to the Mbox via SPDIF, and functions as a pass-thru for a "second set of headphones" when you arm the DAT's record. The whine is NOT on the DAT's headphones output...just the Mbox's headphones. Go figure.

Any ideas? I suppose this COULD be a grounding issue but if so, why did it suddenly appear out of nowhere? And why does it only kick in when Protools is running?

- Aaron

-------------------
Aaron Read
Technical Director for
Public Radio's
The Infinite Mind
www.theinfinitemind.com
Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM

A friend suggested I jiggle the USB connection at BOTH ends (I had jiggled the Mbox end) and that's what did the trick. Took a little fiddling with the MacMini end of the USB connector, but I got it to go away.

This strikes me as, well, not be harsh but "shoddy engineering" comes to mind. Or is this just an inherent issue with using the USB bus for powering the Mbox? (i.e. trading reliability for convenience...something I don't always agree with but I can certainly understand).

- Aaron

-------------------
Aaron Read
Technical Director for
Public Radio's
The Infinite Mind
www.theinfinitemind.com
Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-17-2005, 02:18 PM

A friend suggested I jiggle the USB connection at BOTH ends (I had jiggled the Mbox end) and that's what did the trick. Took a little fiddling with the MacMini end of the USB connector, but I got it to go away.

This strikes me as, well, not to be harsh but "shoddy engineering" comes to mind. Or is this just an inherent issue with using the USB bus for powering the Mbox? (i.e. trading reliability for convenience...something I don't always agree with but I can certainly understand).

- Aaron

-------------------
Aaron Read
Technical Director for
Public Radio's
The Infinite Mind
www.theinfinitemind.com
Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-24-2005, 01:44 PM

I had this same problem and it seemed to come from having my computer plugged in with my other equipment so I ran a extension cord from another room and plugged it up all by itself no more whine!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 PM

I love the jiggle the wire tip. Classic. But seriously, this is a comon problem that I was able to solve with solid advice from Lexicon5 here on the DUC. CHUD tools. Download here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8506
One of the features of this download is that it gives you the ability to turn off the "nap" feature on your dual processor. After DL, go into System Prefs>Processor>uncheck "nap". I even tried this while PT was running and I was actually able to toggle the whine on/off by checking and unchecking the "nap" box! For some reason the nap mode causes this bummer whining problem in PT.