Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Default AVID and Gobbler Announce Upcoming Integration

I've used Gobbler a few times in the past but I still rely on DigiDelivery for the most part. Since Avid announced their upcoming Gobbler Integration I decided I should give Gobbler a real workout and attempt to substitute it for most of my deliveries.

I have a few gripes but for the most part it appears to be working OK....until today.

I sent a few files to someone this morning. Gobbler send them to another address. My best guess is the actual recipient of my files was someone in the intended recipients Gobbler address book (I know both parties but only have the intended recipients email address). Once someone downloads the delivery Gobbler sends an email showing the email address of the recipient notifying you that the delivery was successful and it WAS NOT whom I sent it to.

This is a show stopping do not use for mission critical projects BUG. What if you sent video or audio for a project that was under an NDA to one of your editors and it ended up in the wrong hands? A work Print of an unreleased Feature Film?

Thought I would mention this publicly to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM

Default Re: AVID and Gobbler Announce Upcoming Integration

Wow, that's scary. I'd contact them directly, I'm sure they could put some safeties in place to prevent things like this in the future. They're usually pretty good with customer feedback.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Gobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
I've used Gobbler a few times in the past but I still rely on DigiDelivery for the most part. Since Avid announced their upcoming Gobbler Integration I decided I should give Gobbler a real workout and attempt to substitute it for most of my deliveries.

I have a few gripes but for the most part it appears to be working OK....until today.

I sent a few files to someone this morning. Gobbler send them to another address. My best guess is the actual recipient of my files was someone in the intended recipients Gobbler address book (I know both parties but only have the intended recipients email address). Once someone downloads the delivery Gobbler sends an email showing the email address of the recipient notifying you that the delivery was successful and it WAS NOT whom I sent it to.

This is a show stopping do not use for mission critical projects BUG. What if you sent video or audio for a project that was under an NDA to one of your editors and it ended up in the wrong hands? A work Print of an unreleased Feature Film?

Thought I would mention this publicly to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Hi there!

That is the first time we have heard of this happening. Which of course scares us! Would you mind contacting us at [email protected] with all of the details you can send so we can see what happend here?

What would be helpful is getting your username. Screenshots of all of your notifications. We would really appreciate it as this would be a serious problem if we can replicate it.

Thank you for reporting this!

We really appreciate it!

Chris
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM

I'm a little unclear on how gobbler is intended to be used. Are you guys backing up all your data from all your sessions in the cloud or are you just backing up and sending your current sessions? Gobbler seems too expencive for any real cloud back up of all my sessions.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 AM

I agree Gobbler might be too expensive to back up all of your sessions. A good use would be to back up just your current projects that are time sensitive. In other words you have a tight turn around on a show and as an extra safety net use Gobbler.

Im still looking for DigiDelivery "the sequel". The up coming Gobbler integration with ProTools made me revisit Gobbler. I haven't used it much since it was first released so I thought I would give it another try. One thing I am liking about Gobbler is it appears to have the smarts to use all of my available bandwidth to upload. I have two Internet connections aggregated in my router. Gobbler is using both connections to upload. Fast.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Gobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Post View Post
I agree Gobbler might be too expensive to back up all of your sessions. A good use would be to back up just your current projects that are time sensitive. In other words you have a tight turn around on a show and as an extra safety net use Gobbler.

Im still looking for DigiDelivery "the sequel". The up coming Gobbler integration with ProTools made me revisit Gobbler. I haven't used it much since it was first released so I thought I would give it another try. One thing I am liking about Gobbler is it appears to have the smarts to use all of my available bandwidth to upload. I have two Internet connections aggregated in my router. Gobbler is using both connections to upload. Fast.
Hi Peter!,

You are right on target. The current version of Gobbler is really built to support your current work. Fast access to data, project version and collaboration.

That being said. We are working on additional service to allow you to do a longer term archive at a MUCH reduced cost per gig. I would expect to see that in the 1st quater of next year.

Glad to hear Gobbler is working well for you. We are actually in the process of adding a few neat features to our uploader where you should see even faster performance.

Thanks for giving us another try!

Best,

Chris

Last edited by Chriskantrowitz; 11-05-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Fixed the first name
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskantrowitz View Post
Hi Peter!,

You are right on target. The current version of Gobbler is really built to support your current work. Fast access to data, project version and collaboration.

That being said. We are working on additional service to allow you to do a longer term archive at a MUCH reduced cost per gig. I would expect to see that in the 1st quater of next year.

Glad to hear Gobbler is working well for you. We are actually in the process of adding a few neat features to our uploader where you should see even faster performance.

Thanks for giving us another try!

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Did you read my initial post? Quite a serious security hole in Gobbler. Could you please check that the issue is being addressed?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Gobbler

Hi Peter,

I believe I have an explanation, and if I'm correct it's not actually a security issue (though I can see how it would appear that way). Let's troubleshoot offline and we can report back here on the results.

Thanks, Gordon
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Gobbler

OK - with Peter's help we were able to work with his recipients and figure out what happened. As suspected, this was not a security hole, but confusion caused by a poorly written dialog. While the security risk was minimal and the damage was nil, it nonetheless surfaced a design flaw which we take very seriously. To prevent similar confusion in the future, we disabled the offending dialog yesterday, and will give the related feature a thorough design review before turning it back on.

Top-notch security is essential for any online service - especially one which deals with media - and has been part of Gobbler's foundation from the start. That's why all files sent or stored with Gobbler have AES 256-bit encryption from desktop to desktop, are transmitted via secure https channels, and are hosted in physically-secured AWS data centers. We even offered multi-factor authentication long before some of those other online file delivery services ;-). Most importantly, we'll continue to advance both security and functionality at every opportunity.

Thanks, Peter, for bringing this to our attention. If anyone has additional questions about Gobbler, please feel free to post them to the DUC or reach out to me directly!

Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon Lyon
VP of Product
Gobbler
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonLyon View Post
OK - with Peter's help we were able to work with his recipients and figure out what happened. As suspected, this was not a security hole, but confusion caused by a poorly written dialog. While the security risk was minimal and the damage was nil, it nonetheless surfaced a design flaw which we take very seriously. To prevent similar confusion in the future, we disabled the offending dialog yesterday, and will give the related feature a thorough design review before turning it back on.

Top-notch security is essential for any online service - especially one which deals with media - and has been part of Gobbler's foundation from the start. That's why all files sent or stored with Gobbler have AES 256-bit encryption from desktop to desktop, are transmitted via secure https channels, and are hosted in physically-secured AWS data centers. We even offered multi-factor authentication long before some of those other online file delivery services ;-). Most importantly, we'll continue to advance both security and functionality at every opportunity.

Thanks, Peter, for bringing this to our attention. If anyone has additional questions about Gobbler, please feel free to post them to the DUC or reach out to me directly!

Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon Lyon
VP of Product
Gobbler
To be clear in defense of Gobbler, the issue was operator error, but as Gordon said the feature needs a design review.

Wow. Unbelievable quick and professional response to this issue. Who ever heard of 24 hour turn around time to fix a software issue posted on a public forum. What a company! Thank you a million times Gordon.