Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Default I need help with Snapshots!

I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what so someone please help me!

I am using 3 snapshots for my show, one for each band.. I have everything scoped on every input and every output.. I have certain plugins added to the snapshots as well.

Supposedly the snapshot recalls with the in or out of circuit state of the plugin saved right? Well I try to take a plugin out of circuit and save it to a snapshot but whenever I recall that snapshot the plugin is always in circuit.. Is this normal? I have certain plugins that I use for the headliner but I want them out of circuit for the openers.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Re: I need help with Snapshots!

Today was the first day with our D-Show in action. We had a monster show - opening of the brand new concert hall, with everything brand new. The show was really difficult - most of the 96 inputs were in use.
We did not have a rehearsal day, so everything did need to go right at the first rehersals. We started using snapshots even tough the first idea was not to.. just go with the mute groups, but soon we understood, that using snapshots is the only way.
To our horror - after the first rehersal - we did understand that plugins won't be added to the snapshot if you don't go in and select_every_plugin and add it manually to the snapshot! There simply is no time to do that! Or is there a way?? If not this is a real problem. I really thought if I do a snapshot and select ALL then ALL will be selected and saved. We were in pretty deep ****, but we managed to pull it thru and the show was a great success.
Still I think all plugins MUST be included in snapshots by default and if someone does not want to include a plug setting in a snapshot THAT should be an option.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Avid

Hi Daniel,

Quote:
Supposedly the snapshot recalls with the in or out of circuit state of the plugin saved right?
The bypass state of each plug-in is stored/recalled. This is the oval button next to each plug-in. The on/off state (rectangular button beside each plug-in) is not stored, as this is a config parameter that actually takes the plug-in out of the DSP, not just a bypass.

I'm pretty sure you mean the bypass state isn't being stored/recalled, so here are a few things to check:

1) Make sure the PLUG-IN scope button is selected (red) for each snapshot

2) Make sure the plug-in has been added to the Plug-In list for each snapshot. To see the plug-in list, click the word Plug-Ins in the upper right window of the Plug-ins page. This displays a list of all plug-ins added to the snapshot. Also, on the Plug-Ins page the rack slot should have a red "S" for every plug-in scoped to the selected snapshot.
Note that depending on how the snapshots are sequenced the plug-in may need to be added to two or more snapshots - one to bypass it (e.g, for the opening act), the other to enable it (e.g., for the headliner).

3) Check that the global Recall Safe for Plug-Ins isn't enabled on the Recall Safe tab

That's a few to start with. Let us know what you find.

Sheldon
Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
To our horror - after the first rehersal - we did understand that plugins won't be added to the snapshot if you don't go in and select_every_plugin and add it manually to the snapshot! There simply is no time to do that! Or is there a way?? If not this is a real problem.
You can easily add all the plugins in to a snapshot with couple of clicks from the snapshot pages Plug-in list. Just click the Add-button and choose All plug-ins.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Hey Sheldon,

I've done everything you mentioned and it doesn't seem to be working.

To be specific I have one snapshot with the plugin "in" (oval button has green light).

Then I have one plugin where the oval button has no green light. And no matter how many times I click "update plugin to snapshot"... every time i recall, the plugin is always "in".

I gotta soundcheck now, I'll look in to it more in a little bit.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Avid

Hi,

Sorry for the added stress on what was already a tough day. There is a shortcut to add all plug-ins - click on the ADD button in the Plug-ins section of the Snapshots page, and choose "All Plug-Ins".

And now an explanation of why it works the way it does...

If all plug-ins were stored in every snapshot, small, infrequent tweaks would then need to be managed/updated for all subsequent snapshots. Imagine adjusting the comp plug-in on the bass guitar channel, and then having to update every song in the snapshot list to account for this change.

In the current implementation, you "opt in" the plug-ins you want to change for each snapshot, and the remaining plug-ins are unaffected. I think of this like a rack of outboard gear, where the comps and gates tend to get adjusted every now and then, but the reverbs and delays are adjusted for nearly every song. I'm not saying that this method is perfect, but using the "Add All Plug-Ins" feature allows you to choose the approach that works best for you. All, some or none...

As a secondary concern, storing an entire plug-in rack worth of parameters makes for quite a bit of data storage and large show files (but we can handle that ).

Thanks for the feedback. Make sure you add your thoughts here too: http://avid.venue.ideascale.com/

Sheldon
Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Daniel, im sorry abut discussing my thing in your thread, I thought we share a same "problem".
Sheldon, I'm sorry about assuming how things work rather than RTFM :) If there is an "all" switch that could have obviously helped.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 PM

digidesigner: no problem.

sheldon: either I'm doing something retarded or this is a bug in my console. Usually it ends up being me doing something retarded.

even when I look at the plugin section on the snapshot page, it lists the plugins as being bypassed.. But then when I recall the snapshot the plugins are not bypassed anymore.

??
Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 AM

In case anyone is interested, it turns out that my problem was a bug with the autotune evo plugin. so watch out if you are using this plugin!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 PM

I am having the same issue with Mooger Fooger Plug-ins.
Can't get the Plug-In Bypass to be stored with the Snapshots in Venue 3.1.1
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In