Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Windows 10/Mbox mini/Pro tools first compatability

Hello, Background info: I have just bought a new windows 10 pc. I have been using an Mbox mini with protools 9 on a windows 7 machine for several years. I have downloaded Pro tools first and the correct driver 1.1.7 for the mbox but am unable to get any sound through from old protools 9 sessions. I got an AAE 9173 error message within seconds of playback starting bit no sound despite installing asio4all 2.14. I have scanned the avid knowledge base but cannot make anyb sense of it. Am I wasting my time here trying to use an old Mbox with the new Pro tools? Please advise. Many thanks, Mark
Old 02-02-2021, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Windows 10/Mbox mini/Pro tools first compatability

Hi something i didn't got clear. You said :

"for the mbox but am unable to get any sound through from old protools 9 sessions"

So of you create a new session for the current installed version plays right ?
Old 02-02-2021, 03:42 PM

The lastest driver for mbox mini on win 10 is 1.1.8.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...83298.zip?ns=1

Also are you using the lastest PT first version ?
Old 02-03-2021, 04:19 AM

I assume the version of PT first is the most recent - I installed it from the avid website yesterday. I will try the 1.1.8 version of the driver. I haven't created a new session but if i can't work on old sessions in PT 9 I will have to think again. I take it the mbox should work!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM

Hello Jeam25, Thanks for your help so far. So ... I get sound now when the mbox plays newly created sessions. But there is no sound with old sessions created using PT9.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:51 PM

Hi that's good !

Well you can try this. Open your old PT 9 session and while on it go to the IO settings and delete/default IN, OUT and Busses. Try that and report back.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Hello again,
This isn't looking good. There seem, to be so many issues with PT first and old sessions. I have a new PC with new OS and the Protools software really shouldn't be throwing up so many problems. It took 3 or 4 attempts before I could even open up the old session. The PC crashed 3 times in the process. The sign in dialogue box that appears on the sceeen on opening up PT first is completely blank. The program tells me I'm not connected to the internet - when I am. When I eventually get the session open (I chose a deliberately simple one with very few tracks) as soon as I press play I get the same error message CPU usage etc. It is clear that even if there are ways around these problems changing IO settings etc. PT first is not sufficientlt user friendy for me to invest time and energy. Sorry about the rant. I know you have been trying to help and I appreciate that, but I am so unimpressed with PT first.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:12 AM

Hi mark no problem with that.

As for the internet maybe an intermitent signal or wifi adapter ? Can't tell for shure what is happenong there but that is not a normal operation of PT first.

For the older version sessions, they are from standard old version of PT and PT fisrt and new non PT first version are a complete different animal. So i don't expect to be a smooth transition cause of so many variables like the plugins in the session etc. that make them full compatible. PT first uses exclusively plugins from the avid market and PT standard the " normal ones " . So maybe when you open an old session press the Shift key while loading in order to bypass and make inactive all the plugins in the session. If you got before PT first another version of PT in that system please consider unistalling and remove it completely just in case.

Hope this helps a little and sorry you are having a hard time with it.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:22 AM

Hello again,
Thanks for your input. To be honest trying out PT first was an experiment having acquired a new Windows 10 PC. Looks like I will have to keep my old PC warhorse going for a while. Slightly off topic but maybe you could help with another problem.
Having returned to my old PC I installed a Protools 9 update just because it was flagged up. I have now lost access to most of the plug ins and virtual instruments. They don't appear in the menu anywhere. I have researched this and it would seem the update now requires me to download a separate plug in installer - very irritating. Another suggestion was to trash the preferences. I am considering reinstalling PT 9 from scratch from disc. What do you advise? Many thanks for your time and patience.