Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Default frequency analyzer?

I want to view the various tracks of my session through a visual display like a parametric equalizer has, or for instance the Windows Media Player screen that has bars that rise and fall, according to the frequency (the Windows Media Player screen doesn't tell you what frequency each bar is, though).

I want to see where most of the activity or information is on each track, so I can attenuate certain frequencies to allow other tracks to dominate that range. For instance, if the organ has a lot of sound in the 1k range, and I need to lessen it so the vocals can use that space. But the organ might have most of its load in a different frequency, say the one needed for the trombones to stand out. I wouldn't know what frequency is dominated by what instrument (track) unless I can actually analyze and see what is going on.

I want to do this for all of my tracks: trumpets, rhythm guitar, bass patch, etc.

Is there a plug in that will display the frequencies playing through the sound card, so that I may discern what the content of that particular wave file is, and decide whether to notch certain frequencies? I couldn't find anything on line like that.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: frequency analyzer?

Hi, WAVES have a plug-in called "PAZ analyser".

That should do what you're asking for, but it's much better to trust your ears than your eyes.
Yes it can help, but try not to become dependant on a visual representation too much.

Good Luck,
Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM

While PAZ falls within the broader category of spectrum analyzers, it’s getting a bit long in the tooth and there are far better solutions on the market.

Roger Nichols Digital — Inspector
Great little application displaying reasonably detailed spectral information, plus a few other really useful goodies. It easily offers the best feature/price ratio on the market — because it’s free.

Roger Nichols Digital — Inspector XL
With a list price of $249, XL packs a lot of punch. In essence, a bundle of six measuring instruments which can be used alone or in combination — all customizable. I own it and not only is it great value for the money, it’s really, really good.

Metric Halo Labs — SpectraFoo
The Rolls Royce of analyzers. I own it, love it and it’s my tool of choice. Its only drawback is that it only runs as a stand-alone application on OSX. (It used to be available as a TDM plug-in with OS9.) However, that’s not a problem. In fact, I’ve come to view it as a plus, since the app can leverage more DSP from its host than TDM will ever offer to a plug-in. Highest resolution available (user-scalable, so as to remain efficient on any host), and highest degree of customization features. Not surprisingly it’s more expensive that the above. However, with a list price of $400, the SpectraFoo “Standard” version offers every tool you’ll ever need to successfully play audio proctologist, leaving the above in the dust.

Visit the manufacturers I linked above, read about the products and, better yet, download the demos.

Beyond all this, Google “Real Time Analysys”, “RTA” (throw in the word “Audio” and/or “Mac” to narrow the search) and you will find a number of additional offerings, ranging from stand-alone apps, to Audio Units plug-ins.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Hi,

Another plugin worth looking at is the Roger Nichols Frequal-izer, its an EQ plugin with a built in spectrum analyzer, it also shows the pre and post EQ spectrum in real time as you perform the EQ.

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/products.htm

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Hi, WAVES have a plug-in called "PAZ analyser".
I purchased the PAZ analyzer about a year ago. I wanted to used it to help identify resonate frequencies. For example, on a drum that had too much of a ringing frequency, I wanted to use PAZ to identify the frequency to give me a starting point for my EQ.

I have used it several times and have found that it does NOT identify the resonate frequency. I will use PAZ and see where the most prominent frequency is. Then I go to my EQ and start there. But this approach has never worked for me. The ringing frequency is never where PAZ shows.

I do not know if other analyzer are better at this or if the technique if flawed. I suspect the analyzer is correct and the technique is flawed.

This is just my experience with PAZ--it has not really helped me much.

-Andres
Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I have used it several times and have found that it does NOT identify the resonate frequency. I will use PAZ and see where the most prominent frequency is. Then I go to my EQ and start there. But this approach has never worked for me. The ringing frequency is never where PAZ shows.

Hi,

The best way to use the PAZ analyzer is to close your eyes and use your ears!!!!

Seriously i use SpectraFoo, but you must not rely on the visuals, only check them occasionally for reference! as it sometimes helps to get confirmation, but always go with your ears first.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The best way to use the PAZ analyzer is to close your eyes and use your ears!!!!

Seriously i use SpectraFoo, but you must not rely on the visuals, only check them occasionally for reference! as it sometimes helps to get confirmation, but always go with your ears first.

Chris
I fully agree--we always should use our ears first. But the whole point of a spectrum analyzer is to show you a visual representation of the audio. PAZ's only purpose in life is to show you what frequencies are present in the audio and the relative energy of each.

To me, one reason for using a spectrum analyzer is to help me be more accurate. I do not have "perfect pitch" so I cannot tell you EXACTLY what a particular frequency is. I can usually get close, but if I hear a 1,104 Hz tone I cannot tell you that it is 1,104 Hz, I would say that it is "around 1 kHz". So, I would hope that a spectrum analyzer would be able to tell me that the tone is closer to 1100 than 1000 Hz. (here I am assuming that the FFT bin size is sufficiently small).

The example I gave of trying to identify a resonant frequency in a drum hit, seems to me to be a perfect application for a spectrum analyzer. However, in practice, it never works for me using PAZ. Perhaps PAZ is using too big of bins in its FFT algorithm. I do not know.

I intend to try out other spectrum analyzers to see if they do a better job of this. I just downloaded the free version of the analyzer from Roger Nichols Digital--maybe it will do better.

Another reason to use a spectrum analyzer is to use it solely as a reference as you mentioned Chris. For this I think PAZ is OK. It will show me if I have an even distribution of frequencies in my mix or if any section or frequency range is deficient or too hot.

-Andres
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:

The example I gave of trying to identify a resonant frequency in a drum hit, seems to me to be a perfect application for a spectrum analyzer. However, in practice, it never works for me using PAZ. Perhaps PAZ is using too big of bins in its FFT algorithm. I do not know.

For isolating frequencies, if you have the Massenburg EQ, there's a great feature in that plug where you can "solo" the frequency you're working on and really zero in just using your ears. It's the button in the lower right hand corner of each individual band. The band selection turns into a narrow band-pass filter and the resonant frequencies really come honking out when you pass through them. I suppose you could use any good filter plugs, but the Massenburg is brilliant because then when you've isolated the pitch, then you switch right back to EQ mode and adjust it, done.

I use PAZ mostly to help make up for not having a good subwoofer in my mixing setup. I have a secondary reference pair of the bigger Mackie-powered speakers with larger woofers that help me hear down there a little bit, but the PAZ can help me see the problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Hi all,

Just downloaded and installed the Inspector FREE plug-in, and am having two issues using it.
I'm running Pro Tools TDM 6.2.3 on Mac OS 10.3.2. I have an analog console that I use for mixing, so I mix almost 100% OTB.

First issue, is from within Pro Tools, I created a Master Fader track, but the plug-in will not insert on the Master Fader Track. It's just not listed. Am I missing something? That would seem to be the one of the only use for a stereo-only frequency analyzer, is to monitor the main output.

Second, is that when I created a stereo audio track, and inserted the plug-in on that track, and bussed audio to that stereo track, the plug-in won't see the audio.

Here's what I did:
I created a stereo track.
I inserted the plug-in on that track on my insert points.
I have 10 other audio (mono) tracks that I recorded earlier.
I sent the audio of those tracks out on Bus 1 via the Sends.
I set my stereo track to input from Bus 1-2.
If I go to record, the stereo track is seeing the signal (on the left side only, which is fine since they're all mono tracks), so I know I have the sends right.
However, the plug-in doesn't see the audio.
Do I have to actually record audio to that stereo track for the plug-in to see it?
Will it not see the input coming in on the Bus?

I just need this plug-in temporarily until I can train my ears to hear what the frequency alanyzer is telling me. I'm relatively new to the mixing arena (was record only until a short time ago), so figgered this'd help me out a bit.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in advance

BTW, I e-mailed RND tech Support, and here's their response: "unfortunately we do not support your system setup." Kinda funny since I meet the system requirements on their web site. I guess that's what I get for a free plug-in. *shrug*.

BTW # 2: Got it working. On the stereo track, have to actually record audio to the track from the busses for the plug-in to see it. Eh, it'll work for now. I think I'll be investing in an external freq analyzer for my rack, so I can see it after it leaves my analog console.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 AM

I went to my Pro Tools LE 7.3 Digi 002 setup and routed all my mono tracks through bus 9.
Then I created an AUX IN track, assigned its input to bus 9&10, and inserted Inspector into it.
When I hit play, they all showed up through Inspector, waving in blue, with the left channel active.
I didn't have to record anything.