Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Help! PT Recognizes Audio Interface with 1 card but not with 2 cards!?

Experienced user here but stumped with this one.

Lynx Aurora 16 with LTHD, PT Core card + 4 Accel cards. System worked perfectly but computer motherboard blew. Replaced motherboard. Everything works with just HD Core...but...

Added 1rst Accel card and "Can Not Recognize Interface" dialog box appears at launch. Accel card passed digitest. Tried another Accel card with different flex cable, same problem.

This is a new system drive with freshly installed PT software and plugs. For testing, all plugs removed from plugs folder, all prefs trashed.

I'm at my wits end on this. Wondering if it could be the second PCI slot is defective, but the card passes the Digitest in that slot. Can anyone suggest something I may not have thought of? As I said the system was previously working fine with this same configuration.

Thanks!

System:

PT10.39 HD TDM with 4 Accel cards
OS 10.68
Previously working perfectly in this configuration
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Help! PT Recognizes Audio Interface with 1 card but not with 2 cards!?

Problem Solved! For the benefit of future generations...

The tech who replaced the motherboard installed the flex cables (going between the TDM cards) in reverse. Not being a Pro Tools user his decision was logical -connected socket A of first card to B of next card and so on. Reviewing the Installation Guide it actually works in the illogical manner of B to A.

Prior to noticing this, as a last desperate attempt, I tried connecting the Audio Interface to the last card in the chain (not the first card, the Core Card, as is proper) and Pro Tools recognized the interface! Realizing something must be backwards I went back to the manual and discovered the error.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Help! PT Recognizes Audio Interface with 1 card but not with 2 cards!?

True. And nothing breaks if you do it backwards, only that PT is routing to different interface numbers than you would expect I did that too back in the day... wanted to give a good slap in the face to the person who decided to label them wrong.