Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 10-15-2014, 07:17 PM

Default Re: ...add more inputs to OMNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Just get a mini-digilink cable (similar to the one you must already have) and daisy chain them together. The wiring topology is largely driven by cabling convenience so a daisy chain is usually easier. This should be simple to do. I am not sure what would cause a holdup... just go get a cable and play. The documentation or any Avid dealer can get you the right mini-cable. Pay attention to any sync/clock needs... again the documentation is the place to start.
One slight wrinkle to this; the OMNI has the Mini-DigiLink and the 192 has the older(full-size) DigiLink connector. When you buy a system, it usually(mine did) includes a mini-full adapter cable. For me, that meant pairing the adapter with a 12" digilink(the old one) and it worked perfectly(blue 192 into a new HD IO 8x8x8). I can't see any reason for this to be different with the OMNI. You CAN run the 192 back to the card's second port, but you don't HAVE to

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
One slight wrinkle to this; the OMNI has the Mini-DigiLink and the 192 has the older(full-size) DigiLink connector. When you buy a system, it usually(mine did) includes a mini-full adapter cable. For me, that meant pairing the adapter with a 12" digilink(the old one) and it worked perfectly(blue 192 into a new HD IO 8x8x8). I can't see any reason for this to be different with the OMNI. You CAN run the 192 back to the card's second port, but you don't HAVE to
Doh, that is not a slight wrinkle, that is a major brain fart. I swore I was imagining the back of a 192 with a small Digilink connector.

So to complete my circle of confusion.. let me add what mini-Digilink to Digilink adapter cable you want (they make mini-M to F, or mini-F to M) depends on wether you already own a spare short Digilink cable or mini-Digilink cable. See this search... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...able&Go=Search

You just join the appropriate one of those adapter cables to an existing Digilink or mini-Digilink cable and connect that from your Omni to your 192 IO.

If you arelady own a spare (non-Mini) Digilink cable you want this adapter cable http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkF-MM

If you *don't* already own a spare cable and assuming both the Omni and 192 are racked close together I'd buy these...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkM1.5

and

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkMF-M

(and kudos to Sweetwater for such clear descriptions on those adapter cable product pages). That way you are investing more in modern mini cables.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Doh, that is not a slight wrinkle, that is a major brain fart. I swore I was imagining the back of a 192 with a small Digilink connector.

So to complete my circle of confusion.. let me add what mini-Digilink to Digilink adapter cable you want (they make mini-M to F, or mini-F to M) depends on wether you already own a spare short Digilink cable or mini-Digilink cable. See this search... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...able&Go=Search

You just join the appropriate one of those adapter cables to an existing Digilink or mini-Digilink cable and connect that from your Omni to your 192 IO.

If you arelady own a spare (non-Mini) Digilink cable you want this adapter cable http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkF-MM

If you *don't* already own a spare cable and assuming both the Omni and 192 are racked close together I'd buy these...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkM1.5

and

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiLinkMF-M

(and kudos to Sweetwater for such clear descriptions on those adapter cable product pages). That way you are investing more in modern mini cables.
Quote:

thank you guys! Darryl, i know you already know how confused I get about connections and all the M-F action just reveals one more wrinkle in my brain. thanks for being so specific!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
However,
Pro Tools supports only one HD OMNI in a single Pro Tools|HD system.
I'm just curious...is that related to technical issues or politics ?
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandal View Post
I'm just curious...is that related to technical issues or politics ?
I suspect it has something to do with the OMNI also acting as a monitor controller. In any case, its a limitation of the OMNI, as is the maximum of 8 inputs even though there are 14 physical inputs. 2 little changes and they could sell a LOT more OMNI's

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-29-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I suspect it has something to do with the OMNI also acting as a monitor controller. In any case, its a limitation of the OMNI, as is the maximum of 8 inputs even though there are 14 physical inputs. 2 little changes and they could sell a LOT more OMNI's
Exactly. Аt the moment I have OMNI, 2x192 & 96 I/O which give me 56 ins and 58 outs. At the moment I'm seriously thinking to sell OMNI and get 2 extra 192 dropping 96 to have 64 ins&outs. Stupid OMNI limitation is really PITA.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM

Can anybody using an Omni with a 192 tell me if the Omni mixer window should expand to include the 192 I/O? I have it connected and synced and generally working fine, but it's not directly accessible on the Hardware Mixer tab.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 AM

The Omni's mixer is Omni specific. In PT you'll see both, of course.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
The Omni's mixer is Omni specific. In PT you'll see both, of course.
Gotcha, thanks.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7