Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Default 11 Rack and external mic pre.

I have read a few posts regarding an external mic pre and 11r but I am still not sure of the proper hookup method.
I am going to start recording vocals using my Eleven Rack is my interface. I think I want to try a preamp for my mic and was wondering what the best way to connect to my 11R. I have been looking at the Focusrite Voicemaster Pro and the back panel can be seen on page 1,3 and 4 here
Any comments appreciated.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Connect the line out on the preamp to one of the line in inputs on the Eleven Rack using a standard TRS cable. The line inputs appears in Pro Tools as separate input from the rig processing the Eleven Rack is doing.

I am failing to see the problem here so kind of expecting there is some deeper confusion going on. What are you trying to do? How many simultaneous inputs/what ones are you trying to record? If you just want to record vocals you can always use the built in preamp, and even some of the in-box effects if you want to run the mic though the rig (possible if there is no simultaneous guitar input/tracking through the rig).

If you are new to recording/Pro Tools I would start by getting familiar with tracking vocals into the Eleven Rack mic preamp before you go buy an external preamp. And the Eleven Rack preamp may be all you need.

Darryl
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Re: 11 Rack and external mic pre.

Thank you Darryl,

I am going to just be tracking one vocal a time - all guitars are already recorded. I have used the 11R inbox pre's and effects for the demo vocals I laid down so I am familiar with what it can do and have come to the conclusion that when my vocalist comes in, it will not be sufficient. Therefore I was trying to be proactive and my experience tells me a decent to very good mic pre will be advantageous when tracking vocals.

I will have limited time with the vocalist and if I am not satisfied with the stock 11R setup while recording him initially I will be in a quandry. Therefore better safe than sorry.

Thats my rational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Connect the line out on the preamp to one of the line in inputs on the Eleven Rack using a standard TRS cable. The line inputs appears in Pro Tools as separate input from the rig processing the Eleven Rack is doing.

I am failing to see the problem here so kind of expecting there is some deeper confusion going on. What are you trying to do? How many simultaneous inputs/what ones are you trying to record? If you just want to record vocals you can always use the built in preamp, and even some of the in-box effects if you want to run the mic though the rig (possible if there is no simultaneous guitar input/tracking through the rig).

If you are new to recording/Pro Tools I would start by getting familiar with tracking vocals into the Eleven Rack mic preamp before you go buy an external preamp. And the Eleven Rack preamp may be all you need.

Darryl
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM

What sort of vocals/music and what mic(s) do you have? That may help folks here make suggestions for you. Remember the talent, mic and setup can make a huge difference.

And should see these line in input options in your Pro Tools sessions, if you do not speak up now.

Darryl
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
What sort of vocals/music and what mic(s) do you have? That may help folks here make suggestions for you. Remember the talent, mic and setup can make a huge difference.

It's rock, very very strong male singer with proper mic and singing technique. At present, I have an Audio Tech AT4050 and Neumann TLM 103. AKG 480/CK61 for acoustic guitar.

And should see these line in input options in your Pro Tools sessions, if you do not speak up now.

I do see them.

Darryl
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM

A great thing about the Eleven Rack is you can not only run the guitar through the Rig, but you can run Mic, Line ect... through the Rig as well. You will probably be bypassing the amp/cab, but tracking with reverb ON and compression is always nice. I use the Green overdrive on vocals all the time and it sounds great. And if you are not sure you will want to use the recorded vocal rig sound, you can record the dry vocal at the same time, just select the correct input for the dry track.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Darryl
Hi everyone.

Noted the comments in this thread as I am currently trying to connect my Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster to my Eleven Rack to record my main vocal on one track in Pro Tools 10. I have connected as suggested above from one of the line outs on the preamp to one of the line ins on the Eleven Rack. However when I speak through my CV-12 Microphone the metre on my Voicemaster does not move and the track in Pro tools is not affected by the Voice Master preamp. I only hear and see the track being affected by the Vocal Rig preset on the Eleven Rack.

Is there something else I have to do within my session in Pro Tools for the Voicemaster to work?

Please advise as I find the preamp on the Eleven Rack poor in comparison to the Voicemaster.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Default External pre amp on the Eleven Rack

saw a video on how to connect 2 external pre amps on the eleven rack... and I succesfully hooked an Avalon 737 on the back... however... is it possible to use the avalon as an insert in protools? where can I plug the Line input from the avalon to what output of the elven rack to eq or compress already recorded tracks on protools please help... thank you very much!!