Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Default system upgrade from 7 to 7.4/ authorization code problem

I just purchased a Macbook Pro and installed protools 7.0. I have not had a computer in a year or so and I am having difficulties getting into protools. I upgraded and installed PT LE 7.4.2 so PT would be compatible with my MBP and Leopard. Now when I start up Protools it asks for my authorization code. I have the code from PT 7.0 LE in the getting started manual from when I purhased the Mbox 2 3 years ago, but the code is invalid when entered.

My questions are:
1. I think it is a free upgrade from 7.0 to 7.4.2, but if so where can I find the authorization code so I can get into protools?
2. Should I just pay or can I just pay for Protools 8 and get a new code? If so how much does that cost and where will the new code appear?
3. What suggestions do you experts have on this matter?

I realize I am a newbie and I am really excited to begin recording again. I really just need relevant answers, and opinions so I can be on my way troubleshooting bigger issues.

Thanks so much.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Default Re: system upgrade from 7 to 7.4/ authorization code problem

As much as I dig PT8, I would hate to see you spend money if you didn't have to. Where did you get the 7.4.2 upgrade? If you downloaded it, you should be able to go into your MyDigi account on line and find the authorization code for your new install(as you found out already, the 7.0 code will not work). If you have a disk that you registered, an email to customer support may get you the number. The more info you can provide, the better.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Click on the link at the top of the forum for "Compatibility & Upgrades".

Scroll down to the Pro Tools LE for Mac Compatibility & Upgrades link, and you'll find information there on what is required, what is free, and what is a paid upgrade and how to purchase.

In your case, it sounds like you would need to purchase the Pro Tools LE 8 upgrade.

The Pro Tools LE 7.4.2 update is only free for Pro Tools LE 7.4 owners, as it says on the download page:
www.digidesign.com/download742
Quote:
Download & Authorization
Pro Tools 7.4.2 is a free download for all Pro Tools 7.4 owners. The downloads are full installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools software. Optional plug-ins and software may require separate download and installation. You will need your Pro Tools HD 7.4 iLok license, Pro Tools LE 7.4 authorization code, or Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 iLok license to authorize Pro Tools 7.4.2. If you do not own Pro Tools 7.4, see Compatibility & Upgrades.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks digidesign, Thats what I was assuming.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Protools 8 upgrade soon. Your saying I won't have a problem upgrading from 7.0 to 7.4.2 (unregistered) to 8.0 right? I just want to make sure that I can upgrade from the 7 I purchased to 8 without having to pay twice if you know what I mean.

Any more suggestions on getting up and rolling would be greatly appreciated,

and thanks for the quick response!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM

When I buy the protools 8 upgrade for $150, Do I need to uninstall protools 7.4.2 and/or 7 before installing 8, and if so how do I go about this whole installation process. I don't want to have any buffer issues or have any old software or plugins interfering when I am running protools 8.

Sorry I feel like an idiot asking these questions, but I really want to make sure I get this setup right the first time.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM

System Information

Macbook Pro
320GB HD @ 7200
4GB RAM
M Box 2
Protools 7 le
Glyph 250 firewire ext HD