Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Protools efficiency......

Hello everybody!

I recently bought a new Sony Vaio, pentium 4 computer running at 2.8 Ghz. Ever since i connected to the internet, protools' sound quality has decreased. my question is: to obtain the best quality of sound with protools should my computer only be used for recording purposes? Does the internet affects protools efficiency? Please help me!?! Thanks Alot
Old 03-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Protools efficiency......

Best using PT offline.

Try disabling your Internet Device (Ethernet card, Modem, USB modem, whatever it might be?) in the device manager before starting PT and see if that helps. If you have a Firewall and AV program running you can temp disable them too before starting PT, take a look at your task manager in XP (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and sort by CPU/Memory in the processes tab, this will give you an idea whats eating up your resources.

There are ways to make it work for that "all in 1" machine, I prefer installing 2 seperate XP's on seperate partitions (this called Dual booting), then you could either disable your Internet devices or remove the Internet device drivers completely on the PT XP install and have no AV programs, Firewalls or Tray apps, nothing but your audio stuff on the PT one and everything you need for net on the other, you get the idea?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Protools efficiency......

I did virtually the same thing by setting up two separate hardware profiles on the same drive (too broke to buy Partition Magic!) I have a default setting and a ProTools setting and have to choose one for each reboot. The ProTools setting is stripped down to the essentials, the default setting has my screen saver, wallpaper, internet stuff, network card, etc.
Works for me!
I learned how to do it from www.blackviper.com