Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-02-2018, 03:59 AM

Default Marker-List: organization for better workflow - numbers

1-50 I leave free in the marker list for my windows configuration. There are already 12 windows configurations and more will coming. also they depends from project to project and I want to keep them for creativity.
100- I use for chapters/scenes.

problem: when creating new markers on the fly while working e.g. for detecting problems in audio objects "airplane in field recording", PT fills up from bottom which then get in conflict if I need a new window configuration - I have to sort them manually. I don't like to think on that as time and brain-power matters.

is there a workaround? Do you use empty markers?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Marker-List: organization for better workflow - numbers

I use 10 mem locs of the type "Time Properties - None" to show/hide specific food group tracks (Dialog, Music, Atmo, Fx Mono , Fx Stereo , ...) and store their track heights.
Some may have a connection to a window config, but mostly their function is to "bank" certain tracks.
Those mem locs are defined in a template, further ones can be reserved by empty markers of the same type "None".
Since they are "Time Properties - None", they are either on top of the mem loc window (not sorted by time) or on the bottom together (sorted by time), apart from "Marker" mem locs.
Their names always start by "View" (View Dia, View Music, ...); easy to differenciate from those "airplane-noise-working markers".
Since the mem locs 1-10 already exist, a new working marker with "Time Properties - Marker" would have the number 11 and following.

Pure window configs, that's the job of the window config window, in my eyes.

For scenes, I use a midi track, with empty clips for each scene; labelled with the rough content of the scene ("Driving to Town", ...).
Those clips can be accessed in the clip list, with only Midi shown and sorted by time easily.
They can be colored in the clip list and in the midi track (all scenes with "Tom+Martha" in blue, all scenes in a forrest in green, ...).
So, all scenes are in a separate list and not in the mem loc window.
The mem loc window is clean and reserved for banking mem locs and working mem locs when going through the mix for adjustments.
Works for me, open to discussion.
Would be glad to get to know other workflows.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM

I use markers strictly for scene markers (or temporarily for vertical sync reference, but they get deleted)

Window Configs I use window configs.

I don't show/hide anything with mem locations I dont like that.

I also use a "Notes" track with region grp notes so notes don't get mixed in with markers.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM

I'm with Joachim. Show/Hide markers with no time for different mix groups. Otherwise Window configs go into the Window config list. Except I make my show/hide markers 901, 902, etc... so they go to the bottom of the marker list. I don't need to see them.