Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Default Intermittent Sound Issue

I want to first apologize if I ask a stupid question. I am fairly new and have searched the forum but have not found and answer to my issue.

The issue I am having has to do with sound. The first time I boot up my machine I hear all the standard window sounds. When I launch PT is goes through its process and then when I load a project (I have tried existing and new) I get no sound through my MBox2 Pro. When I hit my keyboard controller or play and existing audio track, I can see the meters jumping but no sound. I can select the onboard sound card as the play back device and I will hear the sound through my flat screen monitor speakers. The strange thing is if I reboot and go back into PT the sound will work just fine through my MBox2 Pro.

I am currently running Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 with an MBox2 Pro on a the following machine:

Windows Vista 32 (just a note the problem was happening in XP also so it isn't the OS)
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model GeForce7050M-M
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 9/12/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.46 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.48 GB

I have a main drive and a secondary storage drive
They are both Model SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device 1TB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Intermittent Sound Issue

I don't think there is a working wave driver for Vista so I would tell Windows to use the on-board audio and leave the Mbox to do Pro Tools duty only.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 AM

I have the same problem, and I'm running XP. Sometimes it works straight away, sometimes I need to close down PT, unplug and replug the Mbox 2 Pro, and then restart PT. It's very random.

I would really appreciate a solution for this.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 AM

The solution for these folks, and every one else that wants to use 1 computer for everything is; let the computer sound card and some computer speakers do all the non-Pro Tools sounds. DIGI hardware is made for recording(and does a plenty good job) but has never excelled at being an all-around sound card. You will save yourself a ton of headaches.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 AM

Well, I use the thing for PT exclusively.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM

I can appreciate that Digi is not known for being an all around sound card but that doesn't help me understand why somtimes it works just fine and other times it doesn't. If I use my computer sound card that will require me to have a whole other sound environment (Card, speakers, potentially a mixer). Sort of defeats the purpose of having the Mbox. Does anyone know of way to figure out what is going on with it rather than just saying it doesn't work and move on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.