Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Default starts OK, but no menus showing

Whenever I start my PT 10.3.7 on a mac, running Lion, it loads just fine. But the PT menus don't show up, and I still see the mac OS menus. When I click the PT icon in my dock a second time, THEN the PT menu shows up. PT works as it should.

I'd rate this as a minor annoyance. But of course, it isn't the way it is supposed to load, and this missing-menu-on-startup doesn't occur with any other software boot. So i'm hoping there is easy fix to it. If i have to reinstall, I'd rather live with the problem. Any help appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Re: starts OK, but no menus showing

It sound like ether the Finder is jumping back to the front or that Pro Tools is going to the background or hiding on launch
I vaguely remember some preference boxes for these things but I don't have a rig I can check

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1 View Post
Whenever I start my PT 10.3.7 on a mac, running Lion, it loads just fine. But the PT menus don't show up, and I still see the mac OS menus. When I click the PT icon in my dock a second time, THEN the PT menu shows up. PT works as it should.

I'd rate this as a minor annoyance. But of course, it isn't the way it is supposed to load, and this missing-menu-on-startup doesn't occur with any other software boot. So i'm hoping there is easy fix to it. If i have to reinstall, I'd rather live with the problem. Any help appreciated.
This is a well known intermittent problem with PT10. It's not missing menus as such but going to the desktop. I had it from time to time with PT 10.3.2/3/4 but have not had it in PT10.3.7. Looks like it's still with us and being an intermittent thing a bear to track down and fix.

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi Craig,

I'd really appreciate it if you'd check out the fix, as you mention, and get back to me, here, so I can change my Preferences and stop it from happening.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Craig,

I'd really appreciate it if you'd check out the fix, as you mention, and get back to me, here, so I can change my Preferences and stop it from happening.
I see nothing in my install; not saying it doesn't exist but just that I haven't seen anything related to this.

QAPLA!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 PM

I don't have a Mac available to poke at

Try right clicking on the PT ICON

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-13-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I don't have a Mac available to poke at

Try right clicking on the PT ICON
If you're talking about right clicking on the PT program icon in the Dock you get the standard Mac stuff
Options - Remove from Dock
Open at login
Show in Finder
----------------------------------
Show Recents
Open

Nothing related to the issue in question. Standard Mac stuff and ditto for right clicking on the PT session icon in the folder.

QAPLA!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM

I started this threads several months ago, but still haven't got a fix.

In the interim I made two changes that i was hoping would fix the problem. First was a long shot. I got rid of my very old Digi002, replaced by an Apollo twin. A great upgrade for my project studio. Although i haven't been able to sell my perfectly functioning 002. And second, perhaps more to the point, I upgraded to mavericks which necessitated an install of a more accommodating version of protools 10 (10.3.8).

But still, when i start protools, it boots just fine, but then the icon immediately gets replaced by the usual finder menu. So i have to click the icon in the dock a second time, to be able to see the PT menus

Anyone????
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I started this threads several months ago, but still haven't got a fix.

In the interim I made two changes that i was hoping would fix the problem. First was a long shot. I got rid of my very old Digi002, replaced by an Apollo twin. A great upgrade for my project studio. Although i haven't been able to sell my perfectly functioning 002. And second, perhaps more to the point, I upgraded to mavericks which necessitated an install of a more accommodating version of protools 10 (10.3.8).

But still, when i start protools, it boots just fine, but then the icon immediately gets replaced by the usual finder menu. So i have to click the icon in the dock a second time, to be able to see the PT menus

Anyone????
As has been said before it's an intermittent problem that Avid isn't really worried about. And with their development going into PT11 support I doubt there will be any fix coming. It's not a deal breaker one way or the other.

QAPLA!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM

I wrote originally mostly because I figure that my mac/PT system is nothing special. So i guessed that lots of users must be experiencing this disappearing menu bug. And thinking positively, I also guessed that some subset of that group must have figured a workaround. And that someone here would clue me in to which switch, preference, etc would get rid of it. Fool that I am, I keep thinking that the fix has to be easy, even while it stares at me, wagging its fingers in front of its nose.

Maybe these next questions are more likely to get an answer::: Does "intermittent" mean that only a few users of PT 10 get it? or that everyone gets it, but only some of the time. And then there's my example of getting it every time.

Which is it?

Yes i am aware of Avid's customer support algorithm of doing nothing to fix some bug. The sign we look for, to understand that this algorithm is operative, is customer supports refusal to acknowledge one way or the other that the bug exists. We then know that the fix will only arrive to smooth our compromised workflow, when the next PT version comes up for sale. Is that an apt paraphrase of your own description of this bug's solution?