Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Issues with Pro Tools 7.4.2

In the past couple of days I have installed Mac OS Leopard V10.5.3 and Pro-Tools 7.4.2. Since I have done this I am continually having problems when working with sessions. I am continually getting the message (and mainly) lost communication with audio interface and more occasionally (b) running our of CPU power.

In the case of (a) it tells me to reset the hardware buffer size and reset the device, but this does not work. IN the case of B, it mainly suggests increasing hardware buffer size. Saying this, the hardware buffer size on my computer is already set to 1024 and 99% CPU usage.

Quiter often the system comes to a grinding halt and thhe playback stutters. Other times everything seems to freeze up and I get the error messages mentioned earlier in this mail.

This problem occurs when I am opening an existing file or after I have saved and reopened a new file. It also occurs regardless of how many or how few plug ins I have (in some cases the system tells me to remove plug ins).

I have not changed my hardware setup or configuration since I have upgrade and there were no issues prior to the upgrade. My audio is stored on a high speed disk, connected thru fire wire, and not daisy chained in any way. THis also applies to the DIGI002.

When I spoke to someone at Digidesign on Friday they told me to reimport session data in to a new file. Even though I did this, the problem occurred when I reopened the file later in the day. There is no issue with missing audio files, they are all present.

Pro Tools LE
Firewire Interface
Software Version: 7.4.2
Apple Desktops: Mac Pro 4-Core 2.66GHz
RAM: 3Gb
Operating System: Apple Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Specific Apple OS: 10.5.3
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Issues with Pro Tools 7.4.2

I am having the same problems exactly. Another minor issue I'm having is that when I double-click on a session to open it, ProTools loads but the session does not open. I need to double-click the session again for it to open.
OSX 10.6.4
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM

I'm not helping here (sorry!) but adding my name to the list having issues with 7.4.2

The above problems plus I noticed it is accessing my Firewire data drive like crazy - even when things aren't going on. Don't know what this means, but wanted to put that out there

I'm still looking for the solution, will post back if I have any answers....
Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM

solved my problem -- installed 7.4.2 full release. I previously had 7.4.2pr

All my error messages have gone (at least for now!)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Another minor issue I'm having is that when I double-click on a session to open it, ProTools loads but the session does not open. I need to double-click the session again for it to open.
i have this but i simply cant open the session at all, pro tools loads then it crashes when it is building the session window )
("building miscellaneous windows" then crashes)

grrrrrrr , not happy with pro tools right now cant get any response from digidesign
Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
Another minor issue I'm having is that when I double-click on a session to open it, ProTools loads but the session does not open. I need to double-click the session again for it to open.
i have this but i simply cant open the session at all, pro tools loads then it crashes when it is building the session window )
("building miscellaneous windows" then crashes)

grrrrrrr , not happy with pro tools right now cant get any response from digidesign
Have you updated all your plug-ins? How about trying trashing preferences?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 AM

I initially installed the 7.4.2 PR version and was having these problems, but this thread actually realates to the ful lversion of 7.4.2 which I installed on the day it was relased last week and have had problems ever since.I've installed the full version of 7.4.2
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I initially installed the 7.4.2 PR version and was having these problems, but this thread actually realates to the ful lversion of 7.4.2 which I installed on the day it was relased last week and have had problems ever since.I've installed the full version of 7.4.2
it'll be good when Digi releases 7.4.3 if, for no other reason, than to eliminate freq. confusion between 7.4.2pr and 7.4.2full
4 x 120Gig hds,
multiple LCDs
Presonus FireStudio Project, MTP AV
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Have you made sure all plug-ins are up to date? Have you tried trashing preferences? What happens if you remove all plug-ins from your plug-ins folder, trashing preferences and test everything again? If the problems don't occur, it clearly points to a plug-in issue.

Do you have all 4 cores selected in the Playback engine and set at 99%? If so, that could be a problem - try reducing it to 80% and, if that doesn't help, scale down to 3 CPU's. This will give the OS and any non-compliant plug-ins some processor time of their own.

You could also try a clean uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools - it may be a corrupted install.

Another test would be connecting the 002 to the other FW port on your computer. Also make sure that Firewire Networking is not checked in your Network control panel.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#313423