Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 AM

Default Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Pro Tools 9.0.5 on Win 7 64 Home Premium

Just thought I'd leave this here for anyone who encounters the same issues I just worked through.

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface today, to run with Pro Tools 9.0.5 on an HP laptop running Win 7 64 Home Premium - and you think I could get the thing to work?

I couldn't get Pro Tools to record or play back with the 2i2 as the audio device. I could, however, get the 2i2 to work with Audacity.

I googled like mad, to no avail.

What I ended up doing was this:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound
  2. Click on Manage Audio Devices
  3. In the window that pops up, you'll be in the Playback tab
  4. Click on the "Scarlett 2i2 USB" device
  5. Click Properties.
  6. In the next window that pops up, go to the Advanced tab
  7. Change the Default Format to "2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)"
  8. Click OK
  9. Click on the Recording tab and repeat steps 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
  10. Click OK again

Problem solved.

Hope this is of use to someone!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Pro Tools 9.0.5 on Win 7 64 Home Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMVP View Post
I couldn't get Pro Tools to record or play back with the 2i2 as the audio device. I could, however, get the 2i2 to work with Audacity.
That's because PT was trying to use the ASIO driver and you were using the WDM or Direct driver with Audacity. The ASIO driver is not multi-client capable. Therefore, the ASIO driver won't share the interface with other devices. If you want to use the 2i2 with PT and have it be completely reliable, allowing you to open 44.1K or 48K sessions as desired, you should de-select the 2i2 as the Windows default Playback and Recording device. Anything already using the 2i2 when you load PT will be a potential conflict. While it might work OK when the sample rates are the same, it doesn't when there is a sample rate mismatch. When you do want to use the 2i2 with Audacity, select the 2i2 directly from the Audacity I/O menu in the transport.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
de-select the 2i2 as the Windows default Playback and Recording device
Good thought, but the 2i2 isn't the default audio device in my setup.

I checked that, but I still get an error when switching between sampling rates - "ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel (I hadn't changed anything, only closed a 48k session and opened a 44.1). Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart Pro Tools." If I then close and restart Pro Tools, the very same error appears.

If I do my little old 10-step process and switch the device back to 44.1 in the Windows Control Panel, it works for 44.1.

Yes, I see the irony in having to change device settings in order to eliminate a dialog box complaining about a change of device settings...

I pretty much never use Audacity, I only mentioned it in my original post to show that I was able to get the device working with something.

Apologies for the delayed reply also, this 2i2 setup is for my laptop, which I only ever use when I'm out of my studio.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM

Having a problem.

Using focusrite as the playback engine in Pro Tools 10 I can't get anything to work. No signals and no audio. Now when I use the asio4all driver I can get signals while record is armed or when playing it back - just can't get sound out to any of my play back options. Audacity and Reaper will play back sound - protools will not.

Now did you use an ASIO driver - or just the drivers that came with the 2i2? I don't want to keep spinning wheels on if I am going about this wrong. If I am to have the focusrite as the playback engine in Pro Tools please advise. I did have it that way as I mentioned earlier, but nothing at all happens when going that route. My inputs and outputs when re-configuring the i/o doesn't show up with focurite 2i2. However when using the asio4all driver I get the 2i2.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM

I ditched the ASIO4All driver, and only have the 2i2 one.

Have you followed the kooky 10-step process above?

By the way, I've made a desktop shortcut to the "Manage Audio Devices" control panel. Eliminates a step in a process I still have to do every time I change sampling rates on my laptop...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Im having the same trouble but I tried these options and I still cant get it to work.
losing the plot. Why is PT such a nightmare when doing anything!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickarooney View Post
Im having the same trouble but I tried these options and I still cant get it to work.
losing the plot. Why is PT such a nightmare when doing anything!
First person to answer that question wins the DUC.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Good grief. I just got a Scarlett 8i6 as something with more IO than a Mobile Pre and didn't cost a fortune like an Mbox, and I was having this weirdo issue in Pro Tools 10. Thanks for the guide at the top of this page, it solved it. Not sure if it's Focusrite's problem or Avid's, but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 AM

Thanks this workaround helped. Getting constant crashes at anything above 48KHz though >.<
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Angry Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Pro Tools 9.0.5 on Win 7 64 Home Premium

Anyone figure what the exact problem is? I tired the 10 steps above with no luck. Tried it plugging my 2i2 into a different USB port each time even!!!