Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-16-2001, 05:18 PM

Default mastering / cdr solution for 001 ?

Hello,

I just purchased a new Mac 867 and a 001. I now realize that I will need to get some type of "assembly" or "mastering" software so I can compile finished tunes into albums and burn cds.

Ok, a friend of mine uses Digidesign's Masterlist CD, and I thought I would just get that. However, Masterlist requires specific SCSI cd burners. Since my new computer is coming with a built-in Superdrive burner, I was hoping to be able to use that and avoid having to get a SCSI card and extra external burner. I am using all ATA drives so I have no real need for a SCSI card right now.

So... I guess my options are A., get Masterlist CD and an external cd burner with SCSI card, or B., find a mastering type program that is similar to Masterlist CD that will work with the Superdrive.

After searching the group here, I see that a lot of peope are using "Jam"... any good? How does it compare to Masterlist CD? I just read a post from a person having conflicts using Jam with the 001 so
i am already a little timid about Jam.

Any other good options? Recommendations? Thanks!

-imp
Old 09-16-2001, 10:00 PM

Default Re: mastering / cdr solution for 001 ?

iTunes that came with your computer will burn CDs.

If you want a different application, I like Toast.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:37 PM

I am a user of jam. It works really well with my burner which is a narrow scsi. I have never used master list cd, but it looks camparible and A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE than jam. I am sure there are great advantages of using master list cd, but since your starting out, jam would make a great learning platform. Just find out if jam will work with the superdrive and then you will be cruisin'. I have also never played with iTunes either. Definatly give jam a whirl. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2001, 08:12 AM

you might want to check out tc-work's Spark if you want to master the stuff you made with pt but it costs more then the apps above but it might be worth it if you really serious about you're stuff
Old 09-19-2001, 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the info... yes, i'm doing serious pro level work, so i need some good tools... but at the same time I'd like to be able to achieve the goal without spending a lot of extra dough if possible. Masterlist is probably what I need, but as I mentioned, I was hoping to escape without having to buy a SCSI card and second CD burner. I already have the Superdrive that I paid for. I wonder if the TC thing will work with the Superdrive?

Thanks -imp
Old 09-19-2001, 11:07 AM

Go with Jam. It's a perfectly good tool. It doesn't do anything amazing, but for burning CDR's you don't need anything amazing. What you need is functionality, and Jam works just fine.

Glenn
Old 09-19-2001, 11:36 AM

Just got off the phone with Roxio. I was told that Jam currently does not support the Apple Superdrive. Indeed Jam has not been updated for quite some time, so this should be no surprise.

I've been waiting for a Jam update ever since I got my superdrive. (BTW, does anybody know who the manufacturer is of the Apple superdrive?) I figure I'll stick with Toast until the Jam update comes out. The whole reason I want to use Jam is for controlling the gap between tracks, when the 'gap' is filled with something other than silence. If you are doing the standard 2 seconds of silence between tracks, I don't see what Jam buys you anyway. Any comments?
Old 09-19-2001, 01:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kcarter:
I figure I'll stick with Toast until the Jam update comes out. The whole reason I want to use Jam is for controlling the gap between tracks, when the 'gap' is filled with something other than silence. If you are doing the standard 2 seconds of silence between tracks, I don't see what Jam buys you anyway. Any comments?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What version of Toast are you runnning?

The version of Toast (v5.0 I think, the full version?) bundled with my FireWire burner allows for adjustable 'gaps'. You can set it to nothing for a seamless DJ mix, for example, and still retain individual track markings. It doesn't allow one to perform crossfades though, which Jam can do.

Phil
Old 09-19-2001, 03:27 PM

kcarter and imp,

I have the G4 867 w/Superdrive and Jam 2.6.2 is working just fine with it. The Superdrive is made by Pioneer. Roxio told me the same thing, yet, it's working. But, the lowest burning speed available is 4x. It doesn't really concern me, but, I thought it might mean something to you so I'll mention it. I've also been using the stock 60GB IBM HD that came with the 867 as the drive to burn from with no problem.

Plus, using Toast for "files and folders" (CD-ROM) back-up. About to by Toast 5 in order to utilize the DVD discs for that 4.7 GB back-up.

Genuinely, Chris
Old 09-20-2001, 11:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by accession:
The version of Toast ... allows for adjustable 'gaps'. You can set it to nothing for a seamless DJ mix, for example, and still retain individual track markings<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,
Thanks for the reply. What I think you're talking about is reducing the gap to zero for that seamless mix, which is similar but different from what I was talking about. For instance on a live album where there is applause between songs, I like to arrange tracks so that the first song ends before the possibly lengthy applause. The next track begins with the downbeat. But the applause continues to sound 'between the tracks.' If playing the disk straight through, your and my method would generate identical results. Where the difference lies is when someone is playing just an individual song (such as in shuffle mode). Using toast, they'd be required to listen to the long applause after the track was over, but using the way I like to do it, the applause would be cut off. I guess this is a preference issue, but this is the way all the live albums I've purchased were done. Hope I'm communicating ok. It has to do with PQ list editing, which Toast does not give us control over.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Christoph1123:
I have the G4 867 w/Superdrive and Jam 2.6.2 is working just fine with it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
This is soooo cool. Thanks for the info! What is the date of your Jam 2.6.2 issue? (Just curious.)
Kurt