Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2000, 10:05 PM

Default Field recording mics

Hey all. As I'm moving into more sound design, I'm realizing that I need a good field recording setup to collect sounds. I'm pretty set on getting the Marantz mini-disk recorder, unless I hear some good reasons not to.

But I'm still unsure as to what mic to use. Anyone got some ideas? I'm looking for a good all around starter. Should I get one that has the stereo capsules built in? I'm thinking "no" on that right now, in case I want to go straight mono.

The AKG blue line looks pretty cool, as it can swap capsules up to a shotgun. Anyone used this setup?

What do I look for in a good, small condenser for the field?

Thanks,
-=Jeff Merkel=-
Mach 8 Audio
Old 07-09-2000, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Field recording mics

Two Great mics, SM57 and Octava 012.the sm57
is rugged and firm.The 012 is a small condenser with interchangeabl capsules.It's
available at www.soundroom.com or www.octava.com

hasta,rat1016
Old 07-09-2000, 10:50 AM

Have you checked out the MD Report (pre-amp & power supply) for DAT/MINIDISC recorders?

www.pmiaudio.com

If you can wait a few weeks. Sennheiser has a new condenser coming out e865 (sting is currently using this on tour) This must be their equivalent to the new Neumann KMS105 ($500). These are super quiet cardiod condensors, which will let you accurately capture worm spit!

Just cause they are 'billed' as vocal mics don't let em fool you. Check out www.sennheiserusa.com and look for Paula Cole's performance at Toad's Place.

and www.neumannusa.com The KMS105 is based on the Neumann K50 cartridge.

Otherwise choose the TLM 103. Noise? Bad!
Old 07-11-2000, 08:53 AM

My 2¢ worth...
I record live shows and capture all sorts of sounds(crickets, traffic, zoo sounds, etc.) with my Sony MZ-R55 MD using the stereo Sony ECM-907. If economics is an issue, this mic smokes for @ $100.
Yeah, like anything else, you can spend as much as you want, but I have had nothing but great experiences with the ECM-907.
Later,
skwent
Old 07-11-2000, 10:31 AM

Check out the crown CM700, work`s great in
the field and has super detail & durability.
Price is around $200-250...
Eric
www.peaksound.com
Old 07-11-2000, 11:09 AM

Like skwent, I also use the Sony ECM-907 and have been very happy woth the results. Superb sound for a <$100 mike. I got mine from
http://store.yahoo.com/aaaprice/sonyecmms907.html

for $78 + shipping.

gtrboy
Old 07-11-2000, 03:48 PM

I've heard and seen mics that you 'wear in your ears' like headphones... unfortunately I forgot the type and brand...
Anyone any experiences with these kind of mics ?
Any suggestions ?

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 07-11-2000, 04:39 PM

Arno,
Seen em as well. Brand eludes me too(don't know if Shure makes them or not). I know a guy who taped shows with them. The copies turned out great.
But you know how it is...
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Later,
skwent
Old 07-11-2000, 05:24 PM
Avid

I have done location work for tv and film for many years and I would really recomend buying a high quality mic. I have used scheops, but they are expensive ($1200.00). Audio technica makes a nice mic for tv/film, don't know the model #. If you want to do the ear thing try some trams. If you can find a film/video rental house you could try a few things out and see if you like em. If you are going to be outside, be sure you have wind protection! Mics inside of zepelins are essential. Some great web sites for this stuff are coffeysound.com and locationsound.com. Both these companies cater to the film/tv sound mixer and they have consignment pages that you can find some deals on. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2000, 09:44 AM

>I've heard and seen mics that you 'wear in your ears' like headphones... unfortunately I forgot the type and brand...
Anyone any experiences with these kind of mics ?<

Sennhienser (sp?) made one and I suspect still does. They are often call bi-aural. The model I saw came with a dummy head with ear canals so it didn't have to be worn all the time. Listening to a recording made with it through headphones was amazing. The image placement sounded perfect 360 degrees.