Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Default 002 Rack install issues MAC OS 10.9.3

We wish to use our 002 Audio Interface but are having problems installing the damm thing.

We are running OS 10.9.3 but as a windows user I am still learning about how macs work (and how they don't too). Just want to use it as a simple volume control as we're selling gear at the moment and that is all we have left.

Steps taken so far:

installed all available drivers online whilst rack is connected using firewire.
tried numerous different firewire cables and ports yet still no connection shown
the only light (LED) that is lit, is the Mute button and it is red.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Hopefully this isn't too confusing for anyone reading and any views/advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Default Re: 002 Rack install issues MAC OS 10.9.3

Question #1, will the MUTE lite go out if you hit the button(if not, then you probably have a bad power supply or harness)? #2, I don't think the 002 is compatible with your OS(but I could be wrong). DIGI002 lost support over a year ago. What version of Pro Tools are you hoping to run(your OS requires PT11, which does not support 002, although it MAY work)? If you are not going to run Pro Tools(or if you are going to use PT11) then you should dump the old 002 and get something newer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Default Welcome to the Machine

Welcome to the nightmare of digidesign hardware and Mac. One would think they could figure this out, but they still haven't, at least in a plug n play way. What little knowledge I can pass to you is that if you are using Protools it complicates things. But if for example you only want to use your 002 with Logic or iTunes, you might have an easier time.

There are some quirky things about Mac audio preferences and the digi hardware, even after you get the correct versions. Mac will default to the previous device for core audio, which sometimes causes problems. especially if protools is using the hardware, because protools doesn't like to share the hardware. you also can not use the 002 in an aggregate device, i think the 003 you can, but don't quote me. Also, you should actually select the 002 in your audio preferences first, then open iTunes or something that will cause the core audio manager to auto launch. i think if you launch the manager first, then mac will think its unavailable or something. I want to say that has changed over different versions, as to how to select and launch the manager app.
The problem with the Digidesign/Avid drivers is that they share some core libraries with ProTools, and the versions have to work together. For instance, You can not install the 002 core audio manager version 9, and run protools 8. i had 8 working but the core audio manager didn't really work with my mac version. even though protools wasn't really qualified for my os, it still worked. but the drivers for 9 cause protools not to launch.
And unlike every other hardware manufacturer, they don't issue certain drivers for certain Mac OS version, which would make it all to easy. and likewise update the legacy versions of protools to run on the newer version of mac, like many other software manufacturers do. (i'm just saying).
But if you are running protools and you want to use the 002 with core audio manager, then good luck. An alternate solution would be to consider installing a previous Mac OS, but good luck with that since the idiots at the Mac headquarters have also locked your mac hardware from installing previous versions. you will have to install it in a legacy Mac machine on your hard drive and then put the HD back in your machine.
now, aren't you glad you spent several thousands of dollars with mac and digidesign?

update: I can connect to the 002r via 10.7.5 and the avid core audio manager version 10.3.9.462, works great. same computer booting an external drive with 10.8.5 and avid core audio manager won't connect and says: "avid HW: unsupported device, status: not connected (hw not found)" of course rebooting the 002r has no effect. result is always the same. installed avid core audio manager version 9r3 (002_003_driversv90_r3_73509) and it works for 10.8.5.
same hardware, same software, different OS, and very different results.

Last edited by beefpitas; 08-04-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: add on
Old 08-15-2014, 11:02 PM

I'm sure you've heard this before, but Not Supported is not the same as Incompatible. I'm running an old but much beloved 002R on 10.9.2 and PT 11.2.1. Works great.

I'm sure you already know that if the 1394 light doesn't go on when the Mac finishes its power up cycle your problem probably isn't software related. Early on I had some issues with firewire cables--the present setup uses a 400 to 800 cable (the 002R is 400 and the Mac only has 800 ports) and I went through several before I found one that worked reliably.

Every time I update PT and install the new set of drivers I clench a little, but so far, so good. I'm wondering if Avid updates the public drivers with as much care as the driver package that comes with each PT update…

If I could make one suggestion it would be to make certain you install the drivers from the latest PT update only--but that assumes you're a PT user, and perhaps you aren't.

It's actually a very decent volume control with the Black Lion mod.

Best of luck,
Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM

A few more details to consider:
002 and 003 will NOT aggregate(just the way they are built, I suppose)

If the MUTE button will not turn off(red LED off), that IS a sign of power supply or harness issue(which means its not working at all)

002R under PT11 can indeed work as an interface. the 002 MIXER version, will also pass audio, but none of the control surface functions are likely to work.

A big +1 to the BLA mods, however, for the price of the mod, you can buy a new interface that will work fine(at this point, I would not invest any money into a 002 or 003 due to their age).

If you can describe your needs(as in how many IO) and what hookups you have available(FW, Thunderbolt, PCIe slot.....) and your budget, we can give you some advice on some options to replace the 002(and I would as its 10 years old and way past its prime)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave