Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-05-2018, 05:35 AM

Default "Import Session Data" broken?

Hi,

PT HD 2018.1 is working great on my Mac system, but I have ran into one thing that seem to be a reproducible bug here.
It’s the ”Import Session Data” functions that seem to be somewhat broken now in 2018.1

Here’s the scenario:

Let’s say I’ve received two short films to mix from a client - one longer version and one cut down shorter version of the same film.
Firstly I import the reference video files and place them on the timeline.

Now, when using "Import Session Data" to import the audio (from *.omf files) I first import the audio from the longer video’s *omf.
Secondly I import the second, shorter video’s *.omf. Both of these using the ”Map start timecode to” (to where i put the video files on the timeline).

When the two *.omf files I've received from the video editor have matching track names, I always click the ”Match Tracks” button in order to get the same audio on the same tracks for both videos on the timeline.
Underneath, under ”Session Data” i always click the ”Import - Overlay new on existing playlists” in order to also keep the audio clips from the first imported (longer video's) *.omf on the tracks (and not replace the existing clips, thus leaving blank spaces on the first video’s audio tracks).

Here is what seems to be the bug:
If the two *.omf files differs somewhat, let’s say the second (shorter film) contains one more stereo audio clip, on two tracks (L & R) that did not exist in the first *.omf - the only thing in previous versions of PT I’ve done is to change these tracks from ”(none)” to ”New Track”… with all the other tracks still matched.

What happens now (every time) when I need to create new tracks from the import session data window is that ALL audio clips imported gets filled with data from one single (wrong) audio clip from the *.omf.
Let’s say where there was supposed to be DX, sound effects and music… every single clip now gets filled up with data from one single clip from (for example) the VO tracks. Thus resulting in one hell of a VO party! :) Every audio clip is now simply containing the same VO sound - some random data from the omf.

This seem to happen every time i use ”Match Tracks” AND ALSO NEED TO CREATE ”New Track” for the extra audio that differs between the two *.omf’s.

This has always been working perfectly for me all the way up to 12.8.3, only started behaving like this now in 2018.1.

I’m using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on a pretty much max spec'd Mac Pro 5.1 (2012).

Is this bug reproducible for you guys too, when using ”Match Tracks” along with ”New Track”?

Thanks in advance!

/Swedish
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Re: "Import Session Data" broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish View Post
Hi,

PT HD 2018.1 is working great on my Mac system, but I have ran into one thing that seem to be a reproducible bug here.
It’s the ”Import Session Data” functions that seem to be somewhat broken now in 2018.1

Here’s the scenario:

Let’s say I’ve received two short films to mix from a client - one longer version and one cut down shorter version of the same film.
Firstly I import the reference video files and place them on the timeline.

Now, when using "Import Session Data" to import the audio (from *.omf files) I first import the audio from the longer video’s *omf.
Secondly I import the second, shorter video’s *.omf. Both of these using the ”Map start timecode to” (to where i put the video files on the timeline).

When the two *.omf files I've received from the video editor have matching track names, I always click the ”Match Tracks” button in order to get the same audio on the same tracks for both videos on the timeline.
Underneath, under ”Session Data” i always click the ”Import - Overlay new on existing playlists” in order to also keep the audio clips from the first imported (longer video's) *.omf on the tracks (and not replace the existing clips, thus leaving blank spaces on the first video’s audio tracks).

Here is what seems to be the bug:
If the two *.omf files differs somewhat, let’s say the second (shorter film) contains one more stereo audio clip, on two tracks (L & R) that did not exist in the first *.omf - the only thing in previous versions of PT I’ve done is to change these tracks from ”(none)” to ”New Track”… with all the other tracks still matched.

What happens now (every time) when I need to create new tracks from the import session data window is that ALL audio clips imported gets filled with data from one single (wrong) audio clip from the *.omf.
Let’s say where there was supposed to be DX, sound effects and music… every single clip now gets filled up with data from one single clip from (for example) the VO tracks. Thus resulting in one hell of a VO party! :) Every audio clip is now simply containing the same VO sound - some random data from the omf.

This seem to happen every time i use ”Match Tracks” AND ALSO NEED TO CREATE ”New Track” for the extra audio that differs between the two *.omf’s.

This has always been working perfectly for me all the way up to 12.8.3, only started behaving like this now in 2018.1.

I’m using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on a pretty much max spec'd Mac Pro 5.1 (2012).

Is this bug reproducible for you guys too, when using ”Match Tracks” along with ”New Track”?

Thanks in advance!

/Swedish
Q: if you import all the Tracks that MATCH first and then do one additional import of the NEW TRACKS, does the same thing happen ????

just seeing if the 2 step process works - so when you log your BUG you have some additional information for Avid !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
Q: if you import all the Tracks that MATCH first and then do one additional import of the NEW TRACKS, does the same thing happen ????

just seeing if the 2 step process works - so when you log your BUG you have some additional information for Avid !!!
Hi John,

I have just done some more testing.
When importing the second omf, matching the tracks that are matching and just ignoring the tracks that differ (leaving them as "(none)") the import works as it should.

I tried once again doing the same, but now again selecting the tracks that differ as "New Track" - once again the same thing (as my post above) happens. The tracks gets filled up with the same random audio from ONE of the clips in the omf data.

One important thing i totally forgot to mention in my first post was that every time this bug occurs Pro Tools throws this error message:
"Some clips had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted."

Again, this only happens when I ask the "Import Session Data" window to create new tracks.

There is nothing wrong with the omf files. I have tried this with a few different projects now and Pro Tools HD 12.8.3 works fine importing AND creating new tracks - no error message.
I have never seen this happen before in any version of Pro Tools. I first started working in post production handling omf's etc when the current version of Pro Tools was version 9 or 10. Never happened before.

Something is going on here with 2018.1.

Anyone else having the same problem?

/Swedish

Last edited by Swedish; 02-06-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 AM

How do one log a bug?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 AM

This bug is not fixed in version 2018.3.

Seems I'm forced to keep using 12.8.3 where this problem still wasn't introduced.

Does anybody else care about this bug?

Please fix this, Avid.

Last edited by Swedish; 04-04-2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish View Post
This bug is not fixed in version 2018.3.

Seems I'm forced to keep using 12.8.3 where this problem still wasn't introduced.

Does anybody else care about this bug?

Please fix this, Avid.
please open a support case from your Avid Account / access the support portal .. this will start a case for this issue .. cheers john
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 12.13.54 PM.jpg (29.0 KB, 0 views)

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
please open a support case from your Avid Account / access the support portal .. this will start a case for this issue .. cheers john

Thanks John,

Didn't know where to go to report issues. Now I know.
Will open a case.

Best regards,
Swedish
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Are you using “copy”, “force”, or “consolidate” media when importing? Try using consolidate with 6000ms handles.

I’ve seen this bug on previous versions of PT when importing OMF’s. Also, clear all your preferences on your system and try again.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

Hi Swedish, i got the same issue with Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 and 2019.12
Today i'll try with Ultimate 2020.3, i hope Avid solved the issue. I use the same method that you to import audio for commercials and is very rustrating. I found a work arround importing the diferents OMFs in diferents pro tools blank sessions and then importing session data from the individuals pro tools sessions instead of OMFs.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 AM

I've just installed Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5 in MacOs 10.15.3, this issue have not been fixed in this version. I'm surprised that they resolved the "Bento error" but not this one.