Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Creating Crossfades between regions

pakobo7,

When doing cross fades you need overlapping material. This example will demonstrate what I mean. It sounds like what you are trying to do is crossfade regions that cannot be extended any further, hence, you will have no overlapping material and nothing to crossfade into. Keep me posted if you resolved this or not.

Watch me.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Shan, YES! You are describing the problem I have exactly. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the link you gave, could you double check the URL link for me?

But I think you are right, I must be overlapping regions incorrectly, hence, there is no actual data on the track to "fade" into each other. Dying to see this gif now! Actually, your first pic inspired me to do some online searches of video tutorials which I've found helpful. Thanks a lot man, looking forward to that pic.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Shan, YES! You are describing the problem I have exactly. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the link you gave, could you double check the URL link for me?

But I think you are right, I must be overlapping regions incorrectly, hence, there is no actual data on the track to "fade" into each other. Dying to see this gif now! Actually, your first pic inspired me to do some online searches of video tutorials which I've found helpful. Thanks a lot man, looking forward to that pic.
Alternative Link.

Original link.

Keep me posted.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Shane

looking at your "alternative" link I noticed the fade alternating. Is there a trick to keep it crossed?

Nice CGA graphics, BTW ;-)
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Shane

looking at your "alternative" link I noticed the fade alternating. Is there a trick to keep it crossed?

Nice CGA graphics, BTW ;-)
I dont quite follow you on what you mean. Both links have the same screen capture. I used a standard cross fade.

What do you mean by the "fade alternating"?

Shane

Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 PM

You can change the fade default settings by going to Setup > Properties > Editing > CrossFade. You can also change the default fade in and fade out curves in the same area.

There are about 6 ways to do fades and crossfades in PT. Hopefully pakobo7 will get this rolling and soon be a master of the fades. It sounds like he is trying fade beyond the region boundaries.

Shane

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 AM

Hey Shane!

Thanks again for the pic, it worked today. Hmmm, actually it seems like I'm doing the same thing you are..playing with the trimmer back and forth to find a good spot, and then creating a fade. Here are a couple of differences with my system.

One, I have to go check what my settings on my crossfades are in the preferences section.

two, I can't shortcut an automatic xfade by just pushing "F". It doesn't work on my m-powered 7.0 win version for some reason. I have to ctrl f to open the dialogue.

three, even after trying to emulate your actions in the gif, I'm still getting an abrupt cut at the splice point (region 1 suddenly stopping, and region 2 suddenly starting).

Only thing I can think of is that I need to change something in the settings...I'll keep you posted. I really appreciate the effort you're making to make these gifs and give explanations...priceless to a newbie like me.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
One, I have to go check what my settings on my crossfades are in the preferences section.

These should be saved when you make the changes. Are your Preferences settings not saving? If not, Install Quicktime.

Quote:
two, I can't shortcut an automatic xfade by just pushing "F". It doesn't work on my m-powered 7.0 win version for some reason. I have to ctrl f to open the dialogue.
You need to have the "Commands Keyboard Focus" enabled to be able to use the one key shortcuts which include the "F" key for quick fades. Make sure this button is enabled, it will turn blue:

Commands Keyboard Focus.

Alt Link.

...I also highly recommend you have a look through the PT 7.3 Shortcuts PDF. Shortcuts will greatly improve your editing speed and production etc.

Quote:
three, even after trying to emulate your actions in the gif, I'm still getting an abrupt cut at the splice point (region 1 suddenly stopping, and region 2 suddenly starting).
Now this one I still dont understand what is occurring. Time to do some trouble shooting. Split up some audio(use the "B" key to make splits in regions via using the Selector Tool), and do some crossfades at different sizes to see what is happening. Also, I'm going to assume that your crossfade Preferences are not being saved as mentioned aboved and what is occurring could be the use of a very funky crossfade parameter that is causing this. Start with basic crossfade parameters like this:

Copy my parameter settings.

Alternative Link.

Hopefully you have this all going and worked out. Keep me posted.

Shane

Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM

Hey Shan

Thanks again for the posts. My fade settings are very similar to yours, yet I'm not getting the results that the pictures in the Reference Guide are showing. See page 337 for a picture of what I mean...see how the first wave (blue) fades all the way past the second wav (red)? My fades never do that...they both start and stop at the splice point.

Hmmm...maybe everyone has this problem and it's just a matter of choosing the best splice point? It would be great to get that blend, but no success so far. I'll keep you posted, thanks for all the help so far.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Hey Shan

Thanks again for the posts. My fade settings are very similar to yours, yet I'm not getting the results that the pictures in the Reference Guide are showing. See page 337 for a picture of what I mean...see how the first wave (blue) fades all the way past the second wav (red)? My fades never do that...they both start and stop at the splice point.

Hmmm...maybe everyone has this problem and it's just a matter of choosing the best splice point? It would be great to get that blend, but no success so far. I'll keep you posted, thanks for all the help so far.
Download this Session. The first crossfade is done for you. Create 2 other crossfades in the next two regions and report back.

Shane