Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Why The Command 8 is better than the Artist Control/Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipmania View Post
Since the original iphone came out, it has consistently been known to have the worst signal and the most dropped calls.
You can probably blame at&t for that, mostly.. the new 4S has dual antennas though and an algorithm to switch between them
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
Hi Lipmania,

Thanks a lot for this. I'd like you to know that have been aware of these comparative differences with Pro Tools.

Please keep in mind that EUCON is constantly, actively developed and works across all of the leading audio and video media production applications. EUCON and Pro Tools is still a young integration, and continues to be improved.

John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles

Avid
2001 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-3886
United States
[email protected]

We’re Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com <http://www.avid.com/>
JC. Thanks for your reply.

As a customer(and with Pro Tools and Euphonix both under the Avid umbrella now), I(we) expect these two products to work better with each other than they do with any other product. All I ask is that you take our suggestions into speedy consideration. Seriously, this thing is really slow compared to the command8...

Mac Pro 3.0 gHz. Mac OS 10.6.8. Pro Tools 10HD
Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 AM

So avid after reading this... Why in the hell would you drop support for a better working control surface? Other than greed ?
So if something works pull support for it push an inforor product down people's through and piss off people who have been supporting you? Please do feel free to explain how this is going to work for you long term? Very pissed off by avid dropping support for command 8...this will be the last time avid...
Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

I think Avid is dragging us all into the future kicking and screaming.. the reality is that digidesign is at fault for making this so painful for you. They've led us all to believe that PT was the biggest and baddest to the point of massive user arrogance while the rest of the world was moving on. Eucon is the future, period. Digi ultimately held the rest of world back by the depth of their user base forcing other superior capabilities to not be used for lack of compatibility. Something needed to be done and if AVID didn't do it somebody else would have. There will no doubt be casualties.

There was a time when you all had your trusty 4x3 tv, some of you just bought a brand new one... And then HDTV showed up, you all bought new TV at a premium price.

If you think this is bad, just wait till Apple screws you.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM

well an hdtv is better, it looks better it works better.
what I see from reading about the artist series...is cracked or warping faceplates, buggy eucon that is works slower than the old command 8? wow, fader caps that fly off....many not happy with it. if thats the future my friend you can have it...

I will take my metal chassis command 8 any-day over all that, and did just months ago...

no big deal, I need to get offline not worry about it and use what I have....it all works..not buying into things that do not....pretty simple ...

and its not just the command 8...many will be pissed....see how this works out for them in the long run...muhahahaha

Taken from the AVID website:
"As we move forward, please be aware of the following:

Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O
192 Digital I/O
96 I/O
96i I/O
SYNC (original "blue")
SYNC HD (original "blue")
MIDI I/O
003 family
Mbox 2 family
Control|24
Command|8
Pro Control
Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
well an hdtv is better, it looks better it works better.
what I see from reading about the artist series...is cracked or warping faceplates, buggy eucon that is works slower than the old command 8? wow, fader caps that fly off....many not happy with it. if thats the future my friend you can have it...

I will take my metal chassis command 8 any-day over all that, and did just months ago...

no big deal, I need to get offline not worry about it and use what I have....it all works..not buying into things that do not....pretty simple ...

and its not just the command 8...many will be pissed....see how this works out for them in the long run...muhahahaha

Taken from the AVID website:
"As we move forward, please be aware of the following:

Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O
192 Digital I/O
96 I/O
96i I/O
SYNC (original "blue")
SYNC HD (original "blue")
MIDI I/O
003 family
Mbox 2 family
Control|24
Command|8
Pro Control

At risk of repeating myself on multiple forums:
cracked faceplates: FIXED. Over two years ago, we fixed the process at the contract manufacturer that was causing this problem. A year ago, we initiated a case by case replacement program for users who have units demonstrating this problem.

buggy EUCON: We have consistently had quarterly updates solving issues with more third party partners than any control surface in history, while porting to Windows and implementing EUCON connectivity with Pro Tools faster than any EUCON integration in history. Each new phase of EUCON and Pro Tools integration has brought Pro Tools more in line with the type of control you get with long standing EUCON aware DAWs like Nuendo, Cubase, and Logic.

Fader caps: Not only did we release firmware that smooths and improves fader movement on new products, but we released firmware that improves fader performance on ANY Artist Control or Mix purchased since 2008. This eliminated the slam to the bottom of the fader track causing caps to fly off.

EUCON and the Artist Series are the beginning of a new paradigm in control. They are modular, customizable, and flexible to suit your workflow.

You can use any leading media production app made by the world's best manufacturers and have control. So your purchase of the Artist Series can be leveraged into multiple types of work with multiple apps, immediately increasing the potential value of your services if you choose to learn a new app to attract new clients - or just want to learn some new way of expressing yourself. If you get what you need out of the Command 8, that's fine.

Best,
John Haydon
Principal Product Manager | Live Systems and Consoles

Avid
2001 Junipero Serra Boulevard
Daly City, CA 94014-3886
United States
[email protected]

We’re Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com <http://www.avid.com/>
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM

I can also vouch for all those fixes being fixed. My units all work great.

As far as what will soon be legacy hardware goes, I dont' think it will disappear. That crap costs way to much and I think their will be PT10 rooms for a long time. Fingers crossed that some of the backlash will give Nuendo another look though. I'd love to be able to work in a nuendo supported post room. As of now there are none in NYC.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Hi John,
The main, really really sucky issue I have is focusing plug ins. To do this, while in flip mode, one has to push down the knob button at the top of the mc mix. This will always put the fader that knob represents into write. This makes plug in editing, and mixing for that matter, extremely error prone. Every minute I'm working I constantly scan for volume automation I've accidentally put into write. It seems like the select button next to the knob is a much better way to select plug in then the knob it's self.
Best
Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM

This is not good news. I just purchased today a Mix and Transport combination. I also have a Command8. If it's really that bad I'll return them and stick with The Command8 until there is a better option. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonaut4 View Post
This is not good news. I just purchased today a Mix and Transport combination. I also have a Command8. If it's really that bad I'll return them and stick with The Command8 until there is a better option. Thanks for the heads up.
please let us know how it will work for you.

i was also thinking about buying an artist control, after reading the first thread i´m not sure anymore...
sure i will have to try out myself, but its allways good to hear other opinions.

any positive ones?