Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-19-2020, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Subscription for Carbon driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
Thanks for posting the link - I’ll watch it. I just missed the webinar today. I asked the question and as I typed it, the guy said “looks like we are out of questions.” Funny.

Anyway, because I don’t know what class-compliance can accomplish in the AVB setting - here’s my question. It’s a specific question that would leave out any “it should work” or “that’s what plug and play means” stuff that could be twisted to cause problems in the future:

If I didn’t install any Avid software ever - ever - would I still be able to use this device (without its DSP, of course) with any other platform as long as AVB is supported by the OS?

Because what I don’t know about AVB is - if a Mac goes out and polls a Carbon device, does the device indicate that it’s going to present as two drivers? Because it doesn’t come from the MacOS as far as I can tell, so is it the case that the Carbon will tell the Mac all it needs to know?

In any event they aren’t saying it’s great for composers - they are saying it’s great for people who want to record bands with low latency in ProTools. So maybe it’s not the box for me.

The other question for me would be, does the fact that it doesn’t do frame-edge sync have any bearing if one uses a system where ProTools (or the audio clock from the Carbon) is the master, such as one using digital picture (via the video engine or MMC)?
I don't see why one would use Carbon if they weren't using Pro Tools. It's a hybrid extension of the system. You could buy some UA engines or Soundgrid and some good preamps if you weren't going to use Pro Tools and didn't need low latency monitoring.

AVB is being rebranded as Milan with some additional features. There are some AVB devices/apps that run on Windows. Like Dante most AVB/Milan based devices are standalone pieces of gear, consoles, amps, processors, etc. Avid is one of the few non-AV type manufacturers supporting AVB/Milan. It's typically used for commercial audio visual systems. Things like paging/background music, conferencing, video display and digital signage. It's rare in event based live audio. On Avid consoles is about the only place you see it at any scale. For concerts, theater or corporate events Dante is used quite a bit more often as is Optocore or even traditional MADI.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
If I didn’t install any Avid software ever - ever - would I still be able to use this device (without its DSP, of course) with any other platform as long as AVB is supported by the OS?
Yes - that's the idea behind AVB which is part of the IEEE 802.1 open standard. Also to use AVB there's no licensing required (because is an open standard). With DANTE there's licensing required which means additional cost to use. Also Avid was clear that choosing AVB was because it is "future proof" and will still work many years down the line, just like good old MIDI

Quote:
In any event they aren’t saying it’s great for composers - they are saying it’s great for people who want to record bands with low latency in ProTools. So maybe it’s not the box for me.
Think this is subjective. In my case I compose music, but I do it with analog synths, drum machine, FM synth, guitar, bass and vocals and tend to avoid virtual instruments like the plague. So low-latency tracking (or jamming) with HDX DSP without the cost of Pro Tools Ultimate or HDX / DIGI hardware is exactly what I wanted. In fact I pre-ordered Avid|Carbon (still waiting for it to be shipped)

Quote:
The other question for me would be, does the fact that it doesn’t do frame-edge sync have any bearing if one uses a system where ProTools (or the audio clock from the Carbon) is the master, such as one using digital picture (via the video engine or MMC)?
This option think was omitted by design. Just like other features like surround mixing requires Pro Tools Ultimate. But Avid|Carbon is marketed as "Music Production for Artist, Bands, Producers" which for the most part don't need surround or frame-edge sync capabilities. Personally I can't wait to get my hands on Avid|Carbon (can't believe I'm selling my Apogee Symphony Mkii)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:42 AM

I am very interested in this unit but am a bit frustrated about the lack of any mention about what the cost for renewal of the bundled PT license/with additional plugins,,, will be after the initial included year of subscription is set to expire .

I asked this specific question (via the the chat feature) on the webinar I attended, and was told via chat , that question had been answered in the live presentation... BUT the question of what the renewal price will be (a year out) had definitely not been addressed or answered and is still a mystery .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 AM

I'm wondering if it can be aggregated with my UAD Apollo. Also, if you'd want to keep digital connection with Bricasti you could use a MyTek or RME format convertor - lightpipe to AES box...but that's like another $1k.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Also, if you'd want to keep digital connection with Bricasti you could use a MyTek or RME format convertor - lightpipe to AES box...but that's like another $1k.
Thanks, BUT Yikes !! actually I think I'll just have my pro audio guy (whom I would be getting the Carbon unit from) make up a couple DB 25 connectors and go analog

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-21-2020, 03:37 PM

I would be really interested in Carbon if I didn't just renew my Ultimate license a week or so ago. I wish there was a buy in for existing owners.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I would be really interested in Carbon if I didn't just renew my Ultimate license a week or so ago. I wish there was a buy in for existing owners.
With Avid|Carbon you would have the following option:"Extend my existing Pro Tools by one year".
In your case that means an additional year on top of your existing plan - so your updates+support plan would be good until 2022
Old 11-22-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Huh ? There is a "buy in" While I don't completely agree with tetonica that "all" the answers are in the FAQ., but answers to that question are.

A: Whether you own Pro Tools or Pro Tools | Ultimate, if you are on an active subscription or software updates and support plan for perpetual licenses, you have two options when you register Carbon.

#1 Receive a new 1-year subscription to Pro Tools with a perpetual parachute (described above). In this case, you will have two licenses in your Avid Master Account—your existing license and the new Pro Tools license.

#2 Extend your existing license by 1 year. At this time, you will not receive the 1-year subscription to Pro Tools with a perpetual parachute. This is how it works:

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 PM

So basically the license if I bought now would extend me to 1 year beyond my current plan? That makes sense. Thanks!

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-26-2020, 01:03 AM

any chance of using a network switch to connect Carbon?

I know it is not officially supported, but would be interesting to know if this works for anybody - I use Ethernet for my network connection and only have one port.