Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Default -9128 error with 45% RTAS meter

Here is another problem I'm having with PTLe (just do a search with my username and you'll see all that has recently befallen me...)

I had a session today with a singer and we couldn't record anything. It was truly embarrasing. I had been able to record some stuff this week and I was even able to prepare the session, mics, etc, even record my voice just to check levels. As soon as the singer arrived PT didn't want to play and wouldn't run, so I had to control-alt-delete to close it. When I ran PT again everything looked normal, but as soon as I pressed play (or record) the dreaded -9128 message came out ("You're running out of CPU...try removing some plugins...). With the RTAS meter at 45%! Not even a buffer setting of 2048 samples let me play the session.

I tried playing another session with only 4 tracks, RTAS meter at 12% and could only get it to play at 2048 samples. I did notice that the RTAS meter would jump from 12% to 35% and back repeatedly, something that never happened before. It would usually only jump 1% when playing a large session (at 24/88.2).

2 hours later, after doing everything on the list, even removing/reinstalling PT, I was still having the same problem. We had to cancel the session.

What might be causing this problem?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Re: -9128 error with 45% RTAS meter

What a nightmare, I hate these things happening in front of a client.

Sounds like maybe a bad plug-in. If you are running a quad try reducing the RTAS CPU count by one. Try pulling all the plug-ins out of their folder and see what happens.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the response.

It's not a quad, it's a single chip.

Where can I place the plugs when I remove them, or do I have to reinstall them after I find the faulty one?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rems View Post
Where can I place the plugs when I remove them, or do I have to reinstall them after I find the faulty one?
Wherever you want, just move it from Plugins folder (for example to "Plugins (Unused)" folder)
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm about to start check my computer to see if I can fix the problem, but I did notice that one of the primary ide channels (there are 3, whatever they are) in the device manager is in PIO mode, not DMA. Is this OK? If not, how can I change it to DMA?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Well, the problem got fixed, although I have no idea how. Here is what I did:

1) I went over the troubleshooting tips again, but the problem persisted.
2) I moved all the plugins to the unused plugins folder, launched PT, but the problem persisted (I was getting the same -9128 message with no plugins!)
3) Then I did 2 things before launching PT, so I can't tell which one helped. I moved the plugins back from the unused folder to the plugins folder. I also changed the cable that connects the eSata drive to the computer from slot.

Now I'm able to record and play normally as before, but I still have a problem. When launching PT for the first time after turning on the computer I get a "ProTools application has encountered a problem and needs to close..." right after the session opens, closing PT. After that, I can launch PT as many times as I want and the message won't appear, and I can use PT without a problem. Oh, and I'm still getting the noise bursts now and then (see my other thread http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=239300)

I will post my Sandra report tomorrow so you guys can check to see if something else is wrong.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 AM

I'm starting to believe its drive related. After doing the sandra report, I launched PT and the problem returned. This time I turned off and on the eSATA drive (with the computer on) and the had no problems. Even the "PT encountered a problem and needsto close..." didn't come back. Unfortunately, the noise bursts do pop up here and there.

What part of the Sandra report should I post?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM

I'm trying to post my Sandra report but keep getting an "Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format" message. Any ideas?

I'm still testing my rig, but there some more weird stuff going on:

1) I recorded a piano track first, then a backing vocal track. Everything sounded great during tracking, but once I hit the stop button I get a few noise bursts (as I previously mentioned) and a small segment of the vocal track drops out (less than a second) and you can hear the piano (i.e. that vocal segment was replaced by the piano audio). How in the world is that possible? The sound module was not connected to the preamp, only the mic. Any way of diagnosing my eSATA drive and fixing it? Maybe time to change drives?

2) Might not be PT related, but this problem started about a month ago. My setup is as follows: midi controller>Digi003>Roland XV module>GR pre. Sometimes I will get a sound that does not correspond to the key I pressed. In other words, I might press the A key in the controller, in PT's midi track will appear an A note drawn, but the recorded sound is much lower. Might be the module or the Digi003. Any way of diagnosing this?

3) The "PT ...must close..." message came back. But again, only the first time I launch PT. After that it won't appear.

Question: In the device manager, the Nvidia Network Bus Enumerator is disabled. Is that OK?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM

bump