Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Default Any free programs of sounds?

I'm trying to get a setup going to make computer music. I watched a video on how to do it with pro tools and think I could learn pretty easily.

I'm not fully understanding how to get sounds to use to make music. As the video shows, the midi keyboard doesn't play sounds but records the notes, how long you held them down and then you add the sound you want them to control.

But where do I get the sounds? I have had one box recommended to me called Kontact 10 that supposedly has a lot. How much is a lot? How many do electronic music bands use? Do they make super expensive sound like say a special rare violin that you pay $500 to get just that one instrument or all they all multi sound packages?
Old 01-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Any free programs of sounds?

Kind of covered in part in your other thread.

you are not after "libraries of sounds" you are after a virtual instrument package/software (that also does include sample libraries).

But asking for a generic sample library is kind of nonsensical. Are you after a drum VI, electronic synth VI, orchestral strings? you give no info here.

Many DAWs include some basic VI capability without buying any third party software. Start there if you are an absolute beginner.

If you are absolutely new and on a Mac as you indicated before and have Garage Band, I would start there to get a little experience, you can always load up those sessions to Logic Pro. With absolutely zero experience it is next to impossible for you to make useful decisions here about more complex/larger software purchases.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 PM

Ok, I thought I would single this part out since I find it confusing. The other post is more of a generic, everything I need post. I don't even know what a vi is.

I thought I would want a library of sounds, so I can pick out ones that I like while I am composing a song. The music I like, they don't necessarily use violins and pianos, but synthesizer sounds. So maybe I have an idea for a melody, but am not sure what sound I would like the melody in. So if I have a big library, I can bang out the notes on the midi controller, then try it out in different sounds until I find the one that fits.

Quite an expensive and complicated hobby.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 PM

So you want synth virtual instruments...

No shortage of those out there, which you can Google for, and most support most DAWs.. but check what the vendors say.

And you may also want/need a drum or drum machine VI.

But again just start playing with GarageBand if you have a Mac.. It has basic synth and drum VIs built-in. You can use a session there in Logic Pro, and it's possible to extract MIDI from GarageBand with some work into other DAWs if you want to reuse your work.

Pro Tools come with a range of interesting VIs. https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...dledAAXplugins

You can play with Pro Tools First for free, but it includes much fewer VIs, is severely crippled and like past Avid low-end consumer DAWs I expect it will fail. Personally 'd much rather pay for and use Logic Pro or Pro Tools than dick around with Pro Tools | First.

If you later want advice on specific synth VIs then ask for that in a new thread on DUC (using that proper terminology) and describing what kind of music you are targeting, or even better what real-world synths you like.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-01-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:11 PM

What Darryl said. Also, if you already have Protools you can just use what comes with it or Google FREE AAX PLUGINS and read.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM

It is also maybe worth pointing out that you can get a free 30 day trial of Pro Tools 12. I suspect that might be largely wasted unless you have made a start with Garage Band or somethign else to get an interface and basic things working at all and some basic experience with MIDI and VIs.

http://connect.avid.com/Pro-Tools-Trial.html
Old 01-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Thanks! It looks like pro tools comes with enough to get started. To make some songs.

I have started with garage band as of last night. I made my first little trial song. It's fun. I do want more though. I'm pretty sure I need a whole huge selection of synthesizer sounds to choose from. So I can let my creativity flow.

That's how I picture myself making a song. Having the idea in my head, and then I really like the way pro tools doesn't record any specific sound, but just the notes your midi controller puts out, then I can go through different sounds and play it back and see what sticks.

What is a good next program to expand on the pro tools sounds?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far Darryl
Old 01-02-2016, 05:57 PM

You can go ahead and discover it for yourself or I can warn you now: GAS includes plugins as well. If you are not able to make your best song with garageband you probably won't make it with the most complete production kit in the world. Take your time, learn how to use the software, watch some videos on YouTube, focus your resources to what you really need, learn to take the ideas out of your head and put them in the computer... Then you can buy whatever you need...
Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area57 View Post
Thanks! It looks like pro tools comes with enough to get started. To make some songs.

I have started with garage band as of last night. I made my first little trial song. It's fun. I do want more though. I'm pretty sure I need a whole huge selection of synthesizer sounds to choose from. So I can let my creativity flow.

That's how I picture myself making a song. Having the idea in my head, and then I really like the way pro tools doesn't record any specific sound, but just the notes your midi controller puts out, then I can go through different sounds and play it back and see what sticks.

What is a good next program to expand on the pro tools sounds?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far Darryl
Glad to see you have got started, but I am a little confused by what you are saying. Garage Band includes built-in virtual instruments including synths and MIDI recording and editing capability. There is more there than it first appears, it may be hidden a bit behind say their loops and other stuff. I assume that is what you would be most interested in using. Did you get an interface with a MIDI port so you can use your keyboard?

And as Amagras mentioned Garage Band supports AU format plugins, so VIs that come in that format can be added to Garage Band. It may be the VIs that interest you support (ie. Come packaged as both) AU (Garage Band and Logic Pro) as well as AAX (Pro Tools) plugins and can therefore be used with either DAW. Another common DAW plugin format is VST.

Editorial -- with Garage Band being free (well after the Apple tax) and so easy to get started on, and so nicely focused on music creation, and supporting AU plugins, it just boggles my mind the Pro Tools | First (aka Last) comes with so few VIs and is chained to requiring purchases of largely non-existent plugins from the store. Another Avid consumer failure in the making...

As I said before, You are likely wasting your time asking for generic "sounds". Get more experience first (on Garage Band or whatever) then ask for what you need/want, VIs with what type of synths, drum machines, drums, etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-03-2016 at 01:12 AM.