Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Default Playlist order inconsistency

It has been ever thus, but I find this completely maddening:

If a track is not in playlist view and you record, say, 20 takes each on a new playlist, when you display the playlists they will be arranged oldest at the top and most recent at the bottom.

If a track *is* in playlist view and you record another 20 takes, they will be displayed newest at the top and oldest at the bottom.

If you're only doing a handful of takes, no problem, but if you're into one or two hundred takes this starts to become really problematic: if you want playlist view open some of the time while doing takes, and have it closed some of the time, your playlist order will be hopelessly messed up making it very difficult to sort through takes for comping.

For myself, I almost *always* want the newest playlist at the top of the order so I can easily see the last dozen takes if I need to quickly pull a recent take in. But if I need to collapse playlists while recording (in order to attend to something on another track for example) then my order is messed up again.

In addition, all rigs I've ever been on tend to bog down when you have 150 or 200 playlists displayed (things get back to normal as soon as you collapse the view), so it's just not practical to have all those playlists always displayed, which is the only way I can see to guarantee that newer takes will be at the top.

Surely this is madness! Seems to me that playlist sort order should be user controllable, if not at least consistent!

Or perhaps there's something I'm missing and there's another way to control this - I would LOVE to find out if that's the case!

Anyone else?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Playlist order inconsistency

Yeah I have the same issues - and it takes forever to rearrange them!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Yeah I have the same issues - and it takes forever to rearrange them!
sortable playlists...

please. I avoid ever opening the playlist view while tracking just so they'll stay in order. re-arranging 150-200 playlists is a big ol waste of time.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:56 AM

Yes, a simple “re-order playlists in alphabetical / chronological order” option would be marvellous.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 AM

Yup - I think the coders/beta team on this are not working with more than 10 or 20 playlists - if you have 100 playlists over a group of say 50 or 60 tracks (like for instance an orchestral session) and you need to have playlist view open some of the time on some of the tracks you're looking at an absolute nightmare!

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-31-2018, 09:32 AM

I think a user definable (even if limited options) "Arrange/Sort By" for Playlists would be a great thing.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM

Guys,

Agree with this completely. In fact I think this is only one of the major workflow killers that playlists force us into.

I've been sticking with my TDM rigs ever since HDX came out, as it was immediately noticed that the designers/coders had removed assignable voices, thereby killing off the "voice stealing" workflow that myself and others love so much (if anyone wants more info on this, tap in and I'll give some more details. It just bloody rocks I tell you!!). Playlists were supposed to replace this working method, but they just don't. See this fairly short thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

PaulV from Avid engineering joins in (Posts 15 & 19) and discusses replacing what he calls the "drop through" workflow, and I briefly had some private back and forth with him, but the trail has gone cold recently.

I have been trying VERY hard to get used to working with Playlists, but it has so many annoying snafus such as the one in this thread, that I keep going back to my trusty old methods, and put my wallet away (would love to get up to an HDX and 2018.10 system ASAP).

Sorry to Rich if this is a bit of a thread hijack. Love you long time.

Steve B.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM

+1

Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz, Intel H97 chipset, 24GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3, Win 10, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD (x2), TP-Link N900 PCIe, EVGA 500w PSU

Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel i7-870 @ 2.93GHz, Intel 5 Series/3400 Series chipset PCIe, ATI Radeon, Win 7 (64-bit) Home Premium, Realtek HD, THX TruStudio, Chicony 350w PSU
Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 PM

Requests for improvements in this exact area have been made thru official channels many times, and have been completely ignored. It really is time that Avid stepped up to the plate on this one, and delivered.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 AM

Hey Tweak,

That's extremely interesting to learn.

Are you in a position to elaborate on who, how and when? Any names?

I've been contemplating trying to reopen the channels of communication with Paul V, but due to time commitments etc I've resisted getting stuck in some pointless and ultimately futile tar trap unless I feel there's enough momentum behind a concerted push to bring about some much needed change in this department.

Thanks for the info.

Steve B.