Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 PM

Default Why we can't have nice things: Avid Mojo Hardware

It seems that I am constantly being prevented from running the newest versions of Pro Tools do to compatibility issues with Avid Mojo hardware. Nearly every time a new version of PT is released it seems to break the Mojo.

What's worse is Avid doesn't seem to actually test these releases for compatibility with their own first party hardware. So when a new version is released I have to rely on other user feedback on Mojo issues. Since very few people use them, there is almost never any information on what' working.

PT 8.1.1 does not currently work with the Mojo (green screens documented by several users) so 8 users limited to 8.1cs2

After waiting nearly a year in hopes updated pt9 would offer a stable release, I rolled out a test case of PT9.0.4 on one stage, only to have tons of issues with the Mojo again. On PT start up I get "Your hardware has detected a power up error" repeatedly and PT will not properly start until the 4th or 5th try. This same mojo hardware worked fine under 8.1cs2.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/...5388657d6g.jpg

IS there anyway to get direct cooperation from Avid engineering? Again this is a first party peripheral, the only video output solution offered by Avid yet is behaves more like unsupported 3rd party solutions. I have half a dozen stages based around Mojos and it get frustrating not being able to update PT without fear of it breaking the mojo AGAIN.

Running PT HD3 on MAC, Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Mojo (non sdi) with video ref.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Why we can't have nice things: Avid Mojo Hardware

I guess this is the problem with Avid and older hardware. Is there any reason you don't want to get a BlackMagic card?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 AM

Vanilla composite mojo running fine here 9.03 (about to delight in 10)

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Why we can't have nice things: Avid Mojo Hardware

Quote:
Is there any reason you don't want to get a BlackMagic card?
Well first I wasn't entirely sure how much more/less reliable this solution was with updates as the Mojo has been. I figured if Avid's first party solutions were this unreliable and poorly supported, a 3rd party solution couldn't be much better.

Secondly it would mean a investment of $1500 minimum plus any additional costs for software to digitize video (since it apparently doesn't allow video record into PT directly). Add this this retraining staff to use new workflows.

Also it does lose a PCIe slot from production machines, eliminating ability to add another acccel card if needed.

Finally, while not required, I would think I would feel compelled to do complete video rewiring to add HDMI runs instead of my current composite lines...

So I just didn't see the logic in redoing all this when I have already purchased a solution which does what i need it to do, if it was actually supported by the company that sells it.

Looks like I'm off to roll back to 9.0.3 in hopes of getting PT to launch.