Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Default midnam file for korg PA60 or similar PA-series keyboard

Years ago, I was able to use someone else's definition files for the PA80 and Cakewalk SONAR Producr Edition 6 to get my Korg PA60 to have its program instruments recognized. The two keyboards are nearly identical, and so is the PA50 and PA50SD. Fast forward a handful of years, and now I'm trying to get Pro Tools 11 to recognize my PA60's program instruments for some live backing arrangements I want to use my keyboard for.

I have spent countless hours studying other forum discussions about midnam files and their corresponding middev statements for keyboard models. Whatever I do doesn't seem to work. Most links and resources that would otherwise help me are dead, even most links that people use in the other forum threads.

First, if anyone has a midnam file for any Korg keyboard in the PA series family, I'd greatly appreciate it! Even if it's not the PA60, a similar one may help me get to where I need to be.

Second, I made a custom midnam file and middev statement based on the Korg Triton, which now does have a midnam file as well as a middev statement. Apparently the PA60/80/50 all were based on the Triton synth engine, so that was my reasoning.

Here is the coding that exists within the midnam file for the Triton.

Here is my attempt at coding a midnam file for the PA60.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if maybe the patch number is supposed to be only a certain # of characters is partly responsible? The final bank has only 1 instrument. So similar to how "A000" was the patch number for program instrument with CC32 = 0 and PC = 0, I did "AA061" as the patch number for program instrument with CC32 = 26 and PC = 61. Bank 27 is one letter over the end of the alphabet, so I decided to refer to that bank (aka CC32=26) as "AA" since bank 26 used "Z".

I also don't know if maybe I was supposed to fill out the banks so that each one had the usual 128 instruments that general MIDI has. I only included program instruments that are identified in the manual. So maybe I'm supposed to "fill out" the banks with other generic instruments to round out 128 for each bank? And if that's the case, then with what? For example, that sole instrument within the final bank #26 is Brass Fall (CC32 value = 26 and PC value = 61). It is identified by this code:

Patch Number="AA061" Name="Brass Fall" ProgramChange="61"

What would program instrument with CC32 value 26 and PC value 0 be? According to my manual, it doesn't exist, but am I supposed to just put something else in there? And if so, what would the respective name and patch number be?

Is there anything else I may have done wrong with my custom midnam file for the PA60?