Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-11-2021, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Updating a corrupted system from 2019.06 - what's stable for Catalina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff ONeil View Post
Thanks Janne, I'm doing exactly what you're describing. I think upgrading the system to Catalina first and then backing up that is a good path to follow as well. As mentioned earlier in this thread all the libraries etc will be updated. I'll wipe the drive after that and install a Catalina. I have a few plugins I'll need to upgrade as well, running into the dreaded "subscription" payment plans. I'll suss out some options to replace what I have. I'm using and Apollo Twin so I have UAD plugins available at a reasonable cost.

Jeff
You should backup your drive first (before upgrading to Catalina) because something can go worn in the upgrade process. If it were me, I would skip the overwrite upgrade to Catalina step. I would make a backup and go straight to wiping the drive and installing (not upgrading) a fresh Catalina operating system. Then I would install Protools (the version you prefer - 2020.11 or 2020.12) and then the plugins and other applications.

The point others and I are trying to make is that upgrading your OS to Catalina without a reformat/wipe may bring your corruption issues with it. It is best to not do an "upgrade" type install over the current OS.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-11-2021, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Updating a corrupted system from 2019.06 - what's stable for Catalina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
You should backup your drive first (before upgrading to Catalina) because something can go worn in the upgrade process. If it were me, I would skip the overwrite upgrade to Catalina step. I would make a backup and go straight to wiping the drive and installing (not upgrading) a fresh Catalina operating system. Then I would install Protools (the version you prefer - 2020.11 or 2020.12) and then the plugins and other applications.

The point others and I are trying to make is that upgrading your OS to Catalina without a reformat/wipe may bring your corruption issues with it. It is best to not do an "upgrade" type install over the current OS.
Good advice Obsidian, I"ve already backed up the HD so that step in your process is already done.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2021, 08:30 AM

Yes but if you have your music/photo/whatever libraries on your PT machine you actualy need to do the in-situ upgrade first to update the libraries. Only then go for the clean install.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes but if you have your music/photo/whatever libraries on your PT machine you actually need to do the in-situ upgrade first to update the libraries. Only then go for the clean install.
That was my original plan Janne. It won't take much time to do that. I have to get the plugin situation solved before I begin the process.

I use protools for VO work. I'm not an engineer, so ! contract out the creating templates for me for the various styles I use in my reads. My "guy" is busy this wknd so I'm delayed another week to make the full switch over. I could probably try and learn all the tricks and tips that you folks spent yrs learning but it's just not my area of expertise.

This will also be a busy week as ratings are on for US TV and my affiliate stations will be quite active.

Jeff