Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Factory 003 and Playback Engines

I am using my Yamaha Motif XS 8 workstation as my Playback Engine and want to continue using the Factory 003 as a control surface and a MIDI device.

IF I switch the Engine to the 003 and then to the Yamaha, the 003 continues to function after this (except for the I/O, of course). However, next time I load PT the 003 is dead in the water unless I toggle the Playback Engine again. It seems that there is some 'initialization' sequence that needs to happen once to get the 003 working. After that, it doesn't care who's running the Engine.

It's just inconvenient to have to mess with the audio engine every time I launch PT, especially because all the MIDI devices seem to lose their I/O assignments every time the engine changes.

Any ideas on how to avoid this? Obviously the 003 is capable of working as a control surface while not the Playback Engine - once it has been kickstarted.

All input would be very helpful...

Thank you,
emmen
Pro Tools 9.02
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Factory 003 and Playback Engines

Many of us are hoping for a firmware update that will allow the 003 to be used as a controller only(so we can use it with HD/Native or with an interface that has more IO). I am confused on why you would prefer to use the Yamaha for IO here. What is the advantage?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Factory 003 and Playback Engines

With the Yamaha as the playback engine I get 16 digital outputs from the synth to Pro Tools (huge for me because I'm a keyboard guy), separate stereo and phones outputs from Pro Tools, and two channels of Mic/Line input.

So long as I do the little dance to get the 003 initialized correctly, I still can use the 003 as a control surface. The only thing I lose is the 8 channels of simultaneous analog input. But, 99% of the time I only ever need a single mic input.

I do hope that digi will release a driver that allows the 003 to 'boot' properly even when not the Playback Engine. Or better yet, figure out a way to support aggregate inputs.
Pro Tools 9.02