Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 6031 error

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The msconfig info (and other tweaks/configuration tips, etc) are in the General Troubleshooting thread...

oh, i thought you meant some new info. did these old tweaks a long time ago
Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
I hope you guys get this all sorted, I've been lucky so far, not getting any problems with 8.0.1.

Just a thought for Digi - how about some proper release notes!!!!

Seems to me that it would be beneficial to us users if a change like this was pointed out in advance. I know it's an under-the-hood kind of change, but an awful lot of people on here are under-the-hood kind of guys, lot of custom built PCs etc etc... So maybe if you'd said 'hey guys were now checking for dodgy driver interrupts... you need to run this utility to check out how fit your system is for real-time processing' then you could have avoided the pain and woe caused to the guys who are now suffering as a result....

Just a thought. I write software for a living, and we tend to tell our users what we are changing, and let them know what to look out for if things go wrong...

Good luck guys!!

+1 million. but, i do again want to thank paulv and dts at least we are getting some useful info for us hd pc users
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
generally we would rather throw an error than allow noise to get into someone's recording. What we might be able to do in the future is provide more information in the error about what driver is misbehaving, and / or allow the user to decide if they want to risk the noise and have Pro Tools disregard the error.
reread this at home rather than at work.

give the user the option to decide if they want the noise or not...........................

just want to make sure we're on the same page here. the noise in the recorded region makes the recording useless. why would someone want the "chose noise option"???? the pops and clicks are very very loud in the recording, you wouldn't be able to use it
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Re: 6031 error - and workaround

Quote:
The 6031 errors that some Windows users are seeing more with 8.0.1 are caused by other device drivers on the system misbehaving - holding off processing too long. 8.0.1 has better detection of this situation, which can in some cases lead to noise during playback or recording (8.0.1 throws a 6031 error in that situation instead of tolerating it and risking the noise).
By "noise", are you referring to the sample errors being reported also described as "pops and clicks"?

So, prior to 8.0.1, some of these systems probably have noise and errors in their recorded audio??

Quote:
The down side is that certain systems with drivers that cause this will show 6031 errors more frequently in Pro Tools. The 6031's are less likely at larger playback buffer settings, so you might try that in your Playback Engine setup dialog.
My question is why is this showing up now in 8.0.1 but not 8.0? A larger buffer size would be good for trouble shooting but unusable with heavy VI based sessions such as x9blades.

We may have found the source problem in x9blade's system and will run some more benchmarks the next few days and report back.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
...(the 6031 change was put in because some users were experiencing noise in this situation)...
On which platform? Mac? PC?...or both?

Quote:
What we might be able to do in the future is provide more information in the error about what driver is misbehaving,
This should be a standard utility if you can provide one. I myself would rather just have the OS kernel only and PT running whether on Mac or PC. Everything else just gets in the way.

Quote:
There is a utility for tracking down the source of this type of problem

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Good utility. My own PT rig passes with amazing low latency. My laptop on the other hand is an obvious pile of crap after running this utility.

Quote:
Also, here's one more thing to check: when you're getting the 6031's, do they still happen if you move the Pro Tools window almost all the way off the screen (far to the lower right off the screen, but not minimized)? If so, the video driver may be involved. Let us know if that's the case, as we might be able to adjust how we interact with the display.
+1 for the above tip.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Avid

Quote:
just want to make sure we're on the same page here. the noise in the recorded region makes the recording useless. why would someone want the "chose noise option"?
Exactly; that's why we didn't make it an option to disable. We tend to believe that most users would rather an error before allowing noise to get in (either on playback or recording). That said, the noise doesn't happen 100% in this situation (what the 6031 is reporting), and maybe some folks want to risk it; who knows. In any case, not a recommended option.

Quote:
On which platform? Mac? PC?...or both?
This one a Windows-only issue. Is the nature of how the OS processes these things. PT on the Mac can get a 6031, but not for this particular situation.

Quote:
By "noise", are you referring to the sample errors being reported also described as "pops and clicks"?
Could be pops, could be short sections of repeated audio, and could be a gurgly sound of one buffer of audio rapidly alternating with another. The 6031 notification prevents those now.

Quote:
So, prior to 8.0.1, some of these systems probably have noise and errors in their recorded audio??
Sadly yes. Now the only confirmed reports we have of this issue were during playback, not recording, but it could've affected recording in theory.

Quote:
This should be a standard utility if you can provide one.
I'll forward on your sentiments to those working on it.

Quote:
I myself would rather just have the OS kernel only and PT running whether on Mac or PC. Everything else just gets in the way.
We surely would as well. These OS's weren't designed to be real-time systems, so we spend quite a bit of time working to squeeze more consistent real-time behavior out of them.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 09-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Could someone be so kind as to upload the dalwdm.sys 8.0 driver, that way I don't need to uninstall 8.0.1, reinstall 8.0, then reinstall 8.0.1 in order to use this fix. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Having the same problem. For a long period I used 7.4 HD to do some post stuff at home. I converted mxf files to quick time move using AVoption|V10 and had been working at home with no problems. I moved to PT HD 8 and worked about a year with audio only not using video playback at all. After updating to 8.0.1 HD it took me again to do post using QT playback. And after a few minutes of work PT simply shut down. I was confused!!! I haven’t ever had such kind of PT crash. I want do notice that the same thing happens on another workstation with PT LE 8cs3. Usually first came the 6031 error and than PT falls. I considered it to be the problem of video compression or disc fragmentation (the file is about 40 GB) but the same file runs perfectly on the same machine with 7.4cs10 installed. So I back to 7.4 to be able to work.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

i wasn't hearing seeing any pops clicks are noise on 8.0cs3 still don't as i'm using it once again . the big thing with 8.0cs3 is that if i don't purge my plugins and uncheck the check box . once in a while when i load a session it goes into massive feedback if remember and uncheck all is ok no feedback.. did find that i had autotune 5.09 installed and it wasn't qualified went back to 5.08 and autotune evo 6.09. just hadn't had the time to try 8.0.1 again...but i have my doubts that this will help !!!!!!!!!!!who knows thinking hard about just staying where i.m at and saving my money on updates riding this version and not keeping up with the lastest versions pro tools puts out as this one does pretty much all i need it to do . maybe in a few years reaper will do what i want and i can switch to that as it seems to work on about anything you install it on...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Hey paul, I am getting this in record mode. I tried the driver file swap and it still pops up.

I am running a very lean box here. all drivers updated.
Any other ideas?

I voted at www.deardigi.com