Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Porr mans HD rig with PT 7 (revisited)

Quote:
Well, after working with my smokin' Quad Opteron for a few months withPT LE, I finally got that HD 1 system to test out in regards to the topic of this post. Some interesting things to report indeed.

And keep in mind that these tests and observations etc are my opinions based on what I use Pro Tools for. I am not going to tell people to dump one system for another etc. That is up to those who are reading and interested to make up their own mind. The best thing to do is try it for yourself in the end.

Native has come very long way. I'll be working with this for a few more days first.

Stay tuned. More later.

Shane
I realise this is an older post Shane but I am very curious to see how your HD1 rig performed. Do you have a link to that info? I am about to go down the exact same path and this thread has shed new hope for me with HD1 performance. I'm looking into HD1 and 192 io with midi io.

Studio rig
- 002r, Onyx 1640 & 1620, PT8, REAPER, Win7 64, Q9450 quad, Asus P5Q, CMLabs MotorMate and MotorMix, CMLabs Sixty Four Router, Motu Midi Timepiece AV
Second rig
- Mbox2 Pro, PT8, REAPER, Win7 32, Asus M51sn laptop
Live tracking rig - Onyx 1640 & 1620, REAPER, WinXP, Asus M51sn laptop

My Website
Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Porr mans HD rig with PT 7 (revisited)

Hey Mr Puss!

I've been running a Quad with HD Core card and PT 7 for over a year now and have never had a capacity issue. I didn't bother with the 192 io cause I have 3 Apogee 24 bit A/D units which cost me $12,000 originally and would probably only get me $800 on ebay. Just can't bear to lose that much at least now.

My Quad has the Tyan Tiger, 2 Opteron 270's and 4 megs of Ram (the exact Shane Quad spec on the LE DUC under the Quadzilla thread).

I am buying an Accel card this weekend and after I reinstall my Quad into a Rack case, I'll add the Accel card and should be REALLY smokin' now.

Having gone through 001 - 002 - 002r and at the same time running a 24 Mix+++ on a Mac G4, I can honestly say that the Quad rig I am running smokes all of my past configurations. I can load over 150 Dverbs simultaneously (I know...why would I do that? ) its a benchmark stress test.

Just DO IT!