Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Plug-in Automation with the click sound

Hi aylavid,

Have you tried running dummy tests with no audio on a track and seeing if the click happens upon automation breakpoints?

I have had circumstances such as V5V listed above, where clicks or pops will come from points in the source audio and how it reacts to a type of plugin (such as saturation or compressors with drastic settings, also keep in mind any edits or fades points on the source material). Usually moving the automation breakpoints to a dull spot in the audio as suggested will yield better results, and non audible discrepancies.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Thanks for your post V5V,

We apologize about the late reply. We somehow don't receive any notice from this forum when the new post received.

We recently figured out that some of the plugs have ON/OFF switch. So we changed to using on/off switch instead main bypass on /off. It is better now. However, some plugs like PT native plugs like AIR don't have on/off switch. So I don't know about this.
Be careful with UAD plugs, their Bypass switch easily cause clicks or pops.

A.Y.L
Old 07-19-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Harry View Post
Hi aylavid,

Have you tried running dummy tests with no audio on a track and seeing if the click happens upon automation breakpoints?

I have had circumstances such as V5V listed above, where clicks or pops will come from points in the source audio and how it reacts to a type of plugin (such as saturation or compressors with drastic settings, also keep in mind any edits or fades points on the source material). Usually moving the automation breakpoints to a dull spot in the audio as suggested will yield better results, and non audible discrepancies.

Thanks for reply J Harry,

We apologize about the late reply. We somehow don't receive any notice from this forum when the new post received.

We have same awareness with what you are describing. Many times don't have clean breakpoints when we want to have automation.
However, We recently figured out that some of the plugs have ON/OFF switch. So we changed to using on/off switch instead main bypass on /off. It is better now. However, some plugs like PT native plugs like AIR don't have on/off switch. So I don't know about this.
Be careful with UAD plugs, their Bypass switch easily cause clicks or pops.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:48 AM

Well it's the end of August 2020 and this is still an issue. The only ways to work around it have been mentioned in this thread:

1. Use the plugin-bypass only at times when the track you are using it on is silent.
2. Instead of bypassing "hard" try automating a curve.
3. Using the "on/off" or "bypassing" function of the plugin itself can help.

I use Pro Tools for recording, mixing and mastering. For composing I use Ableton. Ableton does not have this clicking issue, which leads me to believe there is a solution and Avid should be able to fix it.

I think this is a big enough inconvenience for our workflows that the issue should come to attention to Avid.

I'm using Pro Tools 12.8.1
Old 08-30-2020, 04:21 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

The problem is, Avid cannot fix what they cannot reproduce. If there were many people affected by this on supported configuration and with 100% foolproof steps to reproduce the issue from session to session, surely they would take a look into it.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 AM

Hello and thanks for welcoming me to the community,

I don't think there needs to be a 100% foolproof way to reproduce this issue in order to recognize it as a real reoccuring issue and to fix it. The co-driver doesn't need to die 100% of the time in order for a car-manufacturer to become alerted to the fact that the co-driver in their cars dies more often than the co-driver from Toyota and to fix the issue at hand.

All that really needs to be done is to create one session where this is the instance and fix the clicking-problem without using a work-around. More likely than not this will fix all the clicking-problems.

It is not the Users job to find the 100% foolproof way to reproduce the issue.. for the User the issue simply occurs and he can report it, but in reality he has to use a work-around and can't wait for Avid to fix it, because otherwise the track won't be done in time.
Finding the 100% foolproof way is the same as pinpointing the exact problem.. which is avids responsibility in my opinion.

I realize that you think not many people have this issue. But I think they do! And this is unfortunately where we'll have to disagree, without becoming disagreeable.

The reality is this: Most engineers just do what works and if something produces a clicking noise, they try to find a workaround. I myself have encountered this problem plenty of times before I finally took the time, registered on this forum, waited 6 days for posting-rights and posted on a topic that I had on a track nearly a week ago. Now be honest: How many people will do this? Not to sound overly self-glorifying.. but it's actually quite the heroic act on my side - once you think about it!

I recognized my pattern.. short-time, track by track fixes instead of encouraging/urging avid to fix this problem by making my voice heard and finding a long-time fix. This post stands for thousands of engineers who simply do what gets their track done, instead of doing what solves problem on the long-run for everyone - and I used to be one of those!

I think I'm doing the right thing here by doing what won't fix the track (that I fixed via work-arounds) and instead "simply complaining". If only more people took the time to complain the world would be a better place!

No need to thank me for the complaining, happy to oblige!

PS: No idea what you mean when you say "supported configuration" but if windows 10 and a BabyfacePro is supported, I'd say I have it. Another sidenote: Freezing the track and such won't fix the issue. If I was going to try to reproduce the issue I'd take something like a base-track and put some heavy-eq with some saturation on it.. bypassing the plugin at a point where the audio-wave is not at zero. And if I tried that a bunch I'd try it while there is some reverb on it etc.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:27 AM

I am sorry but this has never showed up on any of our sessions and we do this for a living and I asked around to all the studios I could reach today and no one has seen or heard of this so the best thing you can do is to report this to A id if it poses an issue to deliver tracks for you. This is a user forum and not a support site so hanging here only to report a problem you have is not gonna yield great results for anyone.

Send in an email to support and describe what it is you experience and hopefully Avid deem that enough to investigate.

Stay Safe

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-30-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA View Post
No idea what you mean when you say "supported configuration"
this
Old 08-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Are you using delay compensation?
I did experience those clunk sounds on bypass switching. Changing playback engine and delay compensation would fix it.
Never tried to reproduce it.
I noticed also that somehow the delay compensation gets mixed up when going from a TDM or HDx system back to a native with the same session....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2020, 08:08 AM

Try changing playback engine and delay compensation. In my case this would get rid of these clunk bypass sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk