Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Default install loop and install failures Solved.....so far

I can no longer re-install. I'm asked to reboot when it gets as far as Avid driver 64 over and over again. I actually had 9.06 and 10.1.2 running on the same system. I had a small midi bug. Someone suggested trashing preferences. Huge mistake. 12 hours later I have absolutely no Protools and 3 clients that will be coming back soon for mastering and/or mixing. Pro Tools is slow at installing, uninstalling, booting.
I'm on about my 30th reboots The last 5 attempts at a clean install of PT 10.0.0 gets me as far as the Avid 64 driver. then it tells me to reboot over and over again.
I did so many rollbacks, reinstalls, etc, etc.

What to do?
Update

I did a search on all Avid registry entries using F3 and deleted them. I was finally able to do a fresh install with the usual errors that you can ignore by choice. 10.0.01 is installed and that's where I will stay.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Re: install loop and install failures Solved.....so far

When I fixed Protools by deleting some entries in the registry, I inadvertently deleted some keys and it's total content. After this, weird things started happening like my task bar locking out all icons and various control panel shortcuts not functioning. I did a roll back and found that it fixed all the windows problems and "reinstalled" the 10.1.2 but in a functioning state. 10.1.2 was not working at the time of the system store.
Lesson learned, be careful working with the registry but it did solve my issues with Protools not working.