Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Quicktime Window Wobble in 7.4.2

Sigh, so....

PT 7.4.2, OSX 10.5.4 running on a Dual 2Gig PPC G5 with 2.5G ram - Quicktime version 7.5

The following is only relating to .DV movie files. .MOVs are good. The video in my quicktime window jitters, or wobbles around (literally, I mean up and down and from side to side by little amounts - I don't mean that it misses frames) UNLESS there is another window infront of it - for example, the issue goes if I put the colour palette such that it touches any part of the QT window and is essentially infront of the window - this work around is fine for now, but how annoying!?!?

The quicktime window itself is rock solid - its the video within it that wobbles.

The situation gets SLIGHTLY better if I enable "High quality Quicktime image", but you can still see it wobbling

Anyone any thoughts, particularly Digi.

Tony
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM

What does the movie look like just being played in Quick Time?

Buddy
Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM

Its absolutely fine. On this system and an other I care to try - Am going to take a DV home tonight and try in home studio on a slightly older 10.4.11 system running 7.4.1 - Am pretty sure I'm not going to see the same problem.

Tony
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM

This sounds like the "new" problem that happened with 7.4. I assume you are using a Mojo. I now have to open a new video track and record enable that track, then un-enable record and go back to the original video track. This toggles the Mojo to the correct session rate and the jitter goes away.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi -

No - no mojo involved - Simply looking at the QT window within pro-tools on my 20" cinema display - I know it sounds crazy - but its wobbling!!! Its playing back fine - i.e. no dropped frames, no stuttering in terms of picture smoothness as far as I can tell, its just that the image within the QT window is not stable UNLESS I place another window like the colour palette in front or just touching the QT window

Tony
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing Pro Tools or Quicktime preferences yet?

If not - doing so may fix the problem.

I'm not seeing any wobble on the systems I've tested on here.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion - tried it but no joy. Trashed all preferences with the PT prefs helper app and also the QT preference file in Library / Preferences

Still wobbles.

Have yet to try with same DV files on slightly older system - Hopefully I will over the weekend

Tony
Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Avid

If you have another admin account, you could try testing from there to see if the problem may be related to your current account.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Avid

You say this only applies to .dv movies. I found that .dv movies are the ones that work, while H.264 videos exhibit the 'wobble'.

Can you open the video in Quicktime and go to Window>Show Movie Inspector and tell me what your movie has in the 'Format' field?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM

Hi,

Sure - the definately wobbling DVs are:

DV, 720 x 576 (768 x 576), Millions, DV, Stereo, 48kHz

They are 25fps PAL DVs

OK - and here's a revelation: The .movs that I said were fine ARE wobbling, but VERY VERY slightly - so much so, that I didn't notice it having worked with them for 2 weeks - if I look very closely, they are wobbling - judged looking at window burn-ins that should be stationary and not characters on the screen or the image itself, which clearly could be wobbling due to camera shake - its not that!

My .movs that are wobbling slightly have these properties when examined in QT - nb, they are 24 fps and straight from an Avid.

Apple Motion Jpeg A 720 x 576, Millions, 16-bit integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48kHz

Out of interest I tried an H-264 from an old archive: Also wobbles VERY VERY slightly (similar to the Jpeg As above). Their details are as follows:

H.264 Decoder, 768 x 576, Millions and they are 25fps.

To conclude, I'm finding that the DVs are wobbling an awful lot, such that are pretty unworkable, but the JpegAs and H264s are wobbling very very slightly and are perfectly useable. All this is remedied by placing a window just touching the QT window. So you've managed to reproduce the problem? I'm not crazy and its potentially not just my system?

Tony