Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-25-2007, 09:42 PM

Default using other software with HD interfaces?

good day...i'm planning a TDM system but was wondering if i'd be able to use the i/o of the interfaces such as the SYNC i/o and 96 i/o with Logic (as i also have logic pro studio and would like to compose in logic and record vocals and mix in pro tools)...also does digidesign still sell the MIDI i/o?...it seems its not on their website anymore and a few retail websites no longer sell it...does this mean i'll be bale to use my motu midi express XT (which i already own BTW) with pro tools and not have to buy a new midi interface?

this is my first post BTW but i've been lurking for a few weeks now doing research and am pretty confident in the advice that i'm sure i'll be coming here for again and again...thak you in advance
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: using other software with HD interfaces?

^bump^

wow...21 views and noone can answer this simple question?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:51 AM

Other software seems to work fine with HD hardware and CoreAudio Manager (or whatever it is), but you have to quit Pro Tools first. I don't have Logic, so I don't know about it. DVD Player, iZotope RX and some games work fine.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
good day...i'm planning a TDM system but was wondering if i'd be able to use the i/o of the interfaces such as the SYNC i/o and 96 i/o with Logic (as i also have logic pro studio and would like to compose in logic and record vocals and mix in pro tools)...
You'll get the most flexibility out of your Digidesign interfaces/DSP with Logic if you simply run DAE within Logic as well as DTDM. That way, you get the best of both worlds. I'm currently doing this with LP8 and a PT HD6 system (2 Accel cards) with a G5 DP 2.5 Ghz machine, and things are working VERY well these days. Mixing in LP8 is also a breeze. A big benefit is that DSP intensive plug-ins that bring RTAS to its knees (NI, Ivory, etc.) run like butter in AU, with Apple's kernel level Core Audio and Core MIDI processing. Track freezing also frees up DSP cycles and sample memory space for really, really, big projects (and the off-line rendering really speeds up work flow).

These are very good days for PT TDM and Logic.

I don't remember the specifics, but if you just use the PT hardware as a native i/o, I believe there's a limitation on how many channels of i/o that can be used. I'm not up on this, because I never run my system that way.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I don't remember the specifics, but if you just use the PT hardware as a native i/o, I believe there's a limitation on how many channels of i/o that can be used. I'm not up on this, because I never run my system that way.
Yes, there is a limitation on i/o channels... I've tested a 192 i/o with BoomRecorder and found that the Digidesign CoreAudio Manager supports only the first 8 inputs & 8 outputs (mine has a total of 16 inputs).
Old 12-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
...also does digidesign still sell the MIDI i/o?...it seems its not on their website anymore and a few retail websites no longer sell it...does this mean i'll be bale to use my motu midi express XT (which i already own BTW) with pro tools and not have to buy a new midi interface?
The MIDI I/O is still listed on the website:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...868&langid=100

I only have experience with MIDI I/O and not other MIDI interfaces with Pro Tools, but according to MOTU their MIDI interfaces do work with PT:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...t-made-by-motu

-Allan
Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:

The MIDI I/O is still listed on the website:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...868&langid=100

I only have experience with MIDI I/O and not other MIDI interfaces with Pro Tools, but according to MOTU their MIDI interfaces do work with PT:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...t-made-by-motu

-Allan
thanks for the motu link...and yeah i know the midi i/o is still listed on the site IF you search for it...but going through the drop down menu choices and clicking on i/o interfaces lists everything except the midi i/o...which lead me to believe that they no longer support it (or maybe are not manufacturing any new units)...am i crazy?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...9&itemid=26272
Old 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM

BTW, regarding the MIDI i/o input, do you happen to have a keyboard controller (like all the later Yamahas) that has a USB interface built in? If so, you're better off using that. If you go USB out of a keyboard directly into your PT computer, you'll have less latency than going traditional MIDI out of the keyboard into a MIDI i/o.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
...and yeah i know the midi i/o is still listed on the site IF you search for it...but going through the drop down menu choices and clicking on i/o interfaces lists everything except the midi i/o...which lead me to believe that they no longer support it (or maybe are not manufacturing any new units)...am i crazy?
No... not crazy! You hit on something... I found the way to navigate to the MIDI I/O page from the All Products Index... it's listed in the lower right corner along with C24 & 002 under <drum roll... bugle call> ARCHIVE PRODUCTS

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=26293

Back on the page for Pro Tools|HD I/O interfaces they forgot to edit out the part that says "sample-accurate MIDI"...