Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Recording drums..Multiple tracks?

Hi,

I am a new PTLE7/Mbox2 user and was wondering how everybody is recording drums on this setup.

Currently, I have all 9 drums mics plugged into a mixer and then from the mixer "out" to the left
and right "in" on the mbox. Although this works well, it only gives me 2 tracks (a left and right)
for all of the drums together.

What I really want to do is have a different track for each drum/mic. Is there anyway this is
possible?

I found an interface called PreSonus FIREPOD that gives 8 inputs, anyway to get this working with PT?

The only other way I can think of is to buy the firepod with the cubase software, record the drums
with it, then import those tracks into pro tools.

Well, let me know, and thanks for the help

W
Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Recording drums..Multiple tracks?

Quote:
What I really want to do is have a different track for each drum/mic. Is there anyway this is
possible?
With the mbox? Not without overdubbing the drums.
Quote:
I found an interface called PreSonus FIREPOD that gives 8 inputs, anyway to get this working with PT?
No.
Quote:
The only other way I can think of is to buy the firepod with the cubase software, record the drums with it, then import those tracks into pro tools.
Yep, that's your best option with the mbox.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-09-2006, 06:08 PM

Or you could use an HD24 (Alesis or Mackie) for tracking, and copy the files to your PT hard disk via ethernet or firewire. It's even possible to sync an HD24 to an mbox and use MMC to control the works. You have to have some kind of clock converter for that, but it can be done.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-10-2006, 07:23 AM

I do exactly as you mentioned - I use the firepod to record in Cubase and then I import the waves to ProTools. I got the Firepod from Musician's Friend as a pecial package: Firepod, 80Gb firewire harddrive, MXL90 condenser mic, and cubase LE all for $599.

Supposedly you can sync cubase to ProTools. If that were true, you could record two additional tracks with your Mbox. You'd configure it such that when you press record on one program, it would start recording in the other. Ten tracks total.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 06-11-2006, 04:58 AM

Hi Herkimer

How do you like the cubase LE software? Can you record 10 tracks at once with that
setup? I was reading the reviews on musiciansfriend and somebody said with the LE version
and firepod you can only do 4 tracks at one time and that you have to upgrade to the cubase
SX to do 10 at once. Is that true?

And thanks everybody for the input

W
Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 AM

I read about the track limit. I never even tried it with LE. I went over to Guitar Center and bought Cubase SE for $99. With that, I've recorded all eight inputs from the PreSonus. The files are saved as waves in the audio folder. I just import them into ProTools then for mixing and editing. You should try the Firepod with the included LE and see how many it lets you record. Bear in mind - the ten track idea involves using both the Firepod and the MBox.

As for whether or not I like Cubase - let's just say it's definitely NOT ProTools. I only bothered to learn enough to record audio. Beyond that, it's not intuitive. I haven't figured out midi or even how to use plug-ins yet. The interface just doesn't make any sense. I would have preferred a Digi-002 rack so I could work completely within ProTools - but I just couldn't afford it. I'm up and running for half the price and only moderate inconvenience.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0