Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Dude1961's Avatar
Dude1961 Dude1961 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Default Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....
__________________
Stefan Johansson

OS X 12.3, PT 12.7.1 Vanilla, Logic Pro X, Reason 9, Melodyne, iZotope, BFD3, Komplete 9
MBPro 2013 Retina (16GB)
External Thunderbolt SSD
Thunderbolt display
Apogee quartet & duet
Nord Stage II EX
Roland TD-12
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2017, 02:10 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 19,535
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

I am also one of the weirdos that have had zero trouble with PT MIDI. But then again, I was doing midi in the late 80's / early 90's with Commodore64 and I could say it was a bit hard
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Dude1961's Avatar
Dude1961 Dude1961 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Ahh, those were the days. I remember being able to save up to a Revox B77 1982, finally my band could do Sound on Sound
__________________
Stefan Johansson

OS X 12.3, PT 12.7.1 Vanilla, Logic Pro X, Reason 9, Melodyne, iZotope, BFD3, Komplete 9
MBPro 2013 Retina (16GB)
External Thunderbolt SSD
Thunderbolt display
Apogee quartet & duet
Nord Stage II EX
Roland TD-12
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM
deanrichard deanrichard is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 879
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Dr. T's? That program had some cool features and was far ahead of its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I am also one of the weirdos that have had zero trouble with PT MIDI. But then again, I was doing midi in the late 80's / early 90's with Commodore64 and I could say it was a bit hard
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 19,535
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Dr. T's? That program had some cool features and was far ahead of its time.
Yes. It evolved to Omega II for Atari, but I didn't want to buy Atari so abandoned that with sad feelings :/ at that time I really must buy a PC *grrh*
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

The only other DAWs I have tried working midi is Reason and Studio One 3 (one project on the trial version)

Although I like Reasons instruments and use it all the time Rewired to PT the editing workflow in Reason is archaic and clunky.

Studio One was a decent workflow (with a couple of features that were great) but overall I did not find it strikingly better than PT .
Both programs as well as Reaper when I tried it, made me realize how much I rely on the PT multi tool, which I imagine is one of the best DAW features every dreamed up
__________________
System :
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2020.3 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card


"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
lesbrunn's Avatar
lesbrunn lesbrunn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Accra, Ghana
Posts: 721
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
The only other DAWs I have tried working midi is Reason and Studio One 3 (one project on the trial version)

Although I like Reasons instruments and use it all the time Rewired to PT the editing workflow in Reason is archaic and clunky.

Studio One was a decent workflow (with a couple of features that were great) but overall I did not find it strikingly better than PT .
Both programs as well as Reaper when I tried it, made me realize how much I rely on the PT multi tool, which I imagine is one of the best DAW features every dreamed up
I've used Reason since the first version, (when PT didn't have rewire, and you had to use a midi loopback device and a second soundcard to sync it to PT) and it's a great sound source. But the MIDI sequencer never attracted me. You must have used an earlier version of Studio One, because it now has a smart tool just like PT. I rewired Reaper to PT for a while to get more CPU mileage with VI's, but I never went farther than that because I found the MIDI / Rewire routing incredibly complicated. Maybe working with midi in Reaper would have been easier, but the routing completely discouraged me.
__________________
X99 | i7 5960x @4.6GHz | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB | Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256 SSD 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB x2 | WD Elements 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT2020.5 | Windows 10 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:10 AM
lesbrunn's Avatar
lesbrunn lesbrunn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Accra, Ghana
Posts: 721
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude1961 View Post
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....
You're not sick. PT MIDI, though very basic, is usable enough (just clunky), and I've used it for over 15 years because I didn't want to use two DAWs. I think MIDI timing in PT rather loose, though.

The real problem was the bugs that arose from PT 12, together with the related VI issues. That was when I actually started considering another DAW for MIDI. I've never used Logic seriously (mainly because I'm a Windows user) except for its first incarnation as Notator, which was good in those early days. I messed with Logic a little when there was a Windows version. Many people say MIDI in Logic is easy and solid.

When you say you don't record MIDI input, does that mean you work in the score editor? You're right, though... the other might be another beast altogether!
__________________
X99 | i7 5960x @4.6GHz | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 950 | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB | Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256 SSD 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB x2 | WD Elements 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT2020.5 | Windows 10 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2017, 03:21 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 19,535
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.

What I've heard the #1 reason people are using Logic is that Kontakt AU has been *cough* and therefore they have more tools available compared to PT.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 AM
Stig Eliassen's Avatar
Stig Eliassen Stig Eliassen is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norway @ Studio Varmt & Trangt
Posts: 7,455
Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.
Indeed. That, and funky timing (not in a good way) annoyed me for so long that I eventually bought Logic. MIDI production in Logic - audio, editing and mixing in PT. Love it!
__________________
Studio rig - Pro Tools|HDX 2018.7 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | Avid HD I/O (8x8x8) | 6-core 3.33 Westmere w/24GB RAM | OS 10.12.3 | D-Command ES | Eleven Rack | Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
Mobile rig - Macbook Pro i7 w/16GB RAM | UA Apollo 8p | Pro Tools|HD 2018.3 | Logic Pro X.4.2 | OS 10.12.6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two pro tools systems switched, one person reported for grand larceny Gad101 General Discussion 2 06-13-2015 09:11 AM
Midi Control Not working in Pro tools 11.0.1 but works in pro tools 10.3.6??? bleudog Pro Tools 11 17 04-30-2014 03:13 PM
I'm so sick of this MIDI problem!! cheeseandpepper MIDI 12 03-31-2009 06:50 PM
Terrified MIDI Offset person Fave 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 06-09-2002 12:59 AM
this person claims vsti use in pro tools le... graphite 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 6 10-26-2001 09:26 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com