Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Sound, but no waveform drawn

Hey Folks-
I tried to search for this info, but I found the search function rather daunting. I've been doing heavy overdubs on a project. On a couple of occasions over the past week the waveform for, say, half of one overdub hasn't been drawn in. Looking at the track, it shows that the sound should end at a certain point, but in fact, during playback, the rest of the recorded pass is indeed there. Anyone else had this glitch? Ideas on fixing? Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Sound, but no waveform drawn

Hi Ryan,

Yes, this is not uncommon. You might try cutting your display down to thousands of colors if it's set to millions. Although, that still may not get rid of the bug. There are lots of things that can effect screen redraws, and even when I have everything turned off that Digidesign suggests, I still notice some fades grayed out but they still work. If that happens, I usually delete them and redraw them and they show up correctly if it really bugs me.

I have also noticed that many of these types of things happen in sessions that may have been started in older PT versions. Like you, these same types of things have happened to me with some of my audio files, but not as often for me as what you seem to be going through.

If changing system allocations to conserve power for Pro Tools does not work (Check the usual read me data on this subject) then I would probably first see if these things are happening in older sessions by importing the bad session data into brand new sessions, and see if the weirdness goes away in the new session. And last, if necessary, go through all the normally suggested preference trashes, and Digi database dumps.

In the worst case, do a safe reinstall, if problem does not go away. Don't know if these things will help, but like my Jewish mother would say, "It couldn't hoit!" good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Sound, but no waveform drawn

Thanks for the info, Scott. I'll try knocking down the color pallette, and perhaps trash the prefs as well. My 'puter is about due for some maintenance, but I'm trying to wait until the current long term lockout is done before digging in to far. Cheers,
Ryan