Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 03:39 PM

Default I need a new career

Hi,
I'm owner of a recording school which is quite successful and financially viable BUT I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! I tired of dealing with students that have no real interest in audio engineering (teaching is like pulling teeth) and I'm tired of dealing with parents of students who can't undertand why little Johnny flunked his exams (they think the sun shines from his **** but don't know he spends most of his college time high as a kite! well you get the picture.
Anyway, I'm looking for alternative ideas on how to make a living using my studio facilities, which are excellent by the way. Ideally I'd like to work on my own doing sound to picture, editing, mastering etc.
Maybe some of you guys could tell me what you do.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2001, 10:59 AM

Default Re: I need a new career

Hi Poppy-
Since Ireland has such a lively independant film scene, I would think it would be a great idea to go into post sound.
Of course there are challenges, such as directors who have no real interest in audio, think the sun shines out of thier etc etc etc.
Seriuosly though, I've worked in post sound for about ten years and often love it. Coincidentally, today is not one of them. (the video editor does not understand OMF exports...still waiting for his call back to tell him how to do his job...will have to work on wife's birthday in order to finish on time...you get the idea)
If you have no experience in post sound, I'm sure there are plenty of directors/producers in Dublin who would love you to work on thier film for little or nothing, which is fair, since you've never done it before.
Good luck, and ask more questions!
-p
Old 05-05-2001, 07:29 AM

Thanks to the one replier to my post. I was hoping to get a few more!
Anyway could anyone give me an idea of what equipment would be required to set up a good audiopost facility. I know it's like "how long is a piece of string" but I have questions like:-
What format does most video come in on?
Do I need Beta machines?
Can it all de done on Hard disk using Quicktime or AVI?
Does it end up on Time code DAT or DVD, DVD ram etc?
Does it need to be 24bit?
Do I need 5:1 capability?
How much can I charge?
Do I also need Video editing facilities?
I do have some ideas myself but I would like to hear from the experts.
Any help appreciated.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:40 AM

I work in audio post. I'd say the most common formats we use for the end product are DA-88 and mag film. The sources can vary. DAT, DA-88, 1/4" Nagra, Digi Beta Cam etc.
It isn't necessary to get every kind of format out there. The most important thing to have is the ability to generate and chase timecode and pilot tones. Sync is a big issue. You could probably use Quick time for video reference, but 3/4" video tape is the standard. And it is not necessary to do video also. At the post house I work at, we restore and master audio, using picture as reference and sych source. We don't do any kind of video editing.
Generally, as with any business, be prepared to grow. There are so many formats out there that you will probably find it necessary to buy machines as the demand for them comes up.
Now a days, having 5.1 capability is essential since its become so popular. Not only being able to mix 5.1, but also matrixing 5.1 stereo to a 2.0 left total/right total prologic mix.
In a nut shell, There are many avenues to consider and a lot of money to be made. It doesn't take a lot to start (you already have a studio). Just grow from there.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:40 AM

I have absolutely no experience in audio post. That's why I won't tell you how difficult it is... But if you work in audio post, you'll probably be dealing with people who are more interested in picture than in audio. If you record bands, you'll probably need to record bad musicians, or music you don't like. If you want to operate as a live engineer, you'll be dealing with more technical problems than you ever dreamt of... Now you're working as a teacher and you're dealing with lazy students... That's how tough life is ;-) Maybe you should think about what you want to do instead of what you could do?
If you already know all that, just forget about my message. If not, hope it helps...
Old 05-07-2001, 08:03 AM

Getting into Post Audio can be a bit of an expensive proposition but there are options that you can look into. You might try to partner up (not financially but service wise) with a video house that doesn't have audio capabilities, it can be a great advantage to both houses. With all of the different video and audio formats out there its hard to keep up with them all and sometimes cost prohibitive. Film and video work can be alot of fun and rewarding but its alot of hard work and diplomacy. Get to know the market around you and see if there is a niche that you can/want to fill, there are alot of avenues to take... film scoring, sound design, foley, mixing, even location audio. Good Luck and let me know how its going.

Stan

Old 05-08-2001, 01:15 PM

Just to say thank you to all who replied to my post. Any further comments welcome.