Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Cpu (Rtas) @ 62%

Another option if you haven't already done so, is the increase the CPU usage limit to 99% and make sure you have it set to use both Cores.

I've run pretty big sessions several SSL strips, 4-8 autotunes and bunch of others with those same computer specs and have gotten the RTAS % up to the 70-80% and still kept going. The mouse wasnt very responsive but we got it done.

And of course as others have said, bounces tracks down, or better session setup - more auxes, less plugs.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
Mac dual 2 ghz 4gig ram
Leopard
same as you.. but 2.4ghz.. and having the same problems... i don't even want to start with bigger session if i know its not gonna work...

sometimes 2 eleven, 1 ez drummer is all it takes to screw things up... i have to increase the buffer size so i dont get any errors.. but then whan to record an audio track and have lots of latency.. lower the buffer.. latency is gone.. and as soon as i hit record PT crashes..
Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 AM

I've have set up aux and bus sends before even posting this. Sadly I am having issues with auto-tune,melodyne, air reverb, t-rexs, air delay, and a few other effects.

This session is huge! I'm at 95 tracks right now. I did think about bouncing down the tracks when not needing any more done to them. I might have to do this then (This is just as troublesome as my current problem tho).

I guess the answer is to buy a Mac Pro and slowly walk away from the Imac for now?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
my sessions stumble as soon as i have more than 2 instances of ELEVEN 2 stereo delays and 2 reverbs no matter if i only have 18 audio tracks

but Logic 8 can handle waaaaay bigger sessions
You have a Mac G5, correct? If so, then it makes sense. But if you have a dual 2G Mac Pro, then something is wrong in your setup. When you compare Logic to PT, you are comparing apples(no pun intended) to oranges...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
What kind of Mac are you using? 2 Elevens, 2 delays, 2 reverbs and 18 tracks is not a very heavy duty session. Maybe you have something that is incompatible..
Eleven is a CPU hog and whatsmore it doesn't sound that great. There are better plugins out there that will use a fraction of the CPU without the hiss. My alltime fave is sansamp for sound and resource, also McDSP chrometone. These two plugins will use the same on average as a standard digi plugin, Eleven use aroud 20-25% of my Macbook CPU, it sux.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 PM

1 video track
17 midi tracks
8 instrument tracks
3 reason
4 xpand
1 clic
1 master fader

orchestra and fx instrumentation

no other plug in (compressor, reverb, delay, etc)

i get up to 69% on CPU at the busiest part...

now i want to add drums (ez drummer) guitars (eleven) and bass.. i know for sure it won't handle it.. i bounced to file, imported it to a new session, then adding the other instruments... and then, take em back to the original session to paste.... long and tedious... so, 4GB not good enough?.. need more power then?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarzag View Post
... so, 4GB not good enough?.. need more power then?
If you are referring to RAM... that is not your problem. 4GB of RAM is ideal for use with PT. More is better, of course, but more RAM won't solve CPU issues... completely separate. What kind of system are you running?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
i bounced to file, imported it to a new session, then adding the other instruments... and then, take em back to the original session to paste.... long and tedious...
Your doing too much here.

Create a send from each track you want to print to a bus. Create an audio track, assign it's input to the bus you selected above. Record arm and record, you will see the track print to audio in real time.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If you are referring to RAM... that is not your problem. 4GB of RAM is ideal for use with PT. More is better, of course, but more RAM won't solve CPU issues... completely separate. What kind of system are you running?
So is not the ram? .. because eventually I want to mix and eq the session, meaning some more plug ins in it wont handle it..

macbook 2.4ghz
4gb

running the session from an external lacie hardrive via fw 400
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Your doing too much here.

Create a send from each track you want to print to a bus. Create an audio track, assign it's input to the bus you selected above. Record arm and record, you will see the track print to audio in real time.
yep.. I could do that.. but then I will have to remove all my instrument tracks at least.. because If i want to continue working with the same session, when a adding ez drummer and eleven is gonna crash..

in the case of printing to audio with bus sends...I will be running 20+ audio tracks from my hardrive and I don't know how responsive is gonna be...

Im doing some film scoring stuff.. and If i didn't have to print to audio, or worry about plug ins and cpu that would be awesome and less time consuming..

anyways.. thanks to all for your information... im gona try printing all the tracks.. see what happens..

thanks