Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Video Video Video .....

Since the so called "video engine" was born, I have not gotten any newer PT versions to work as good like PT 10.10.3
Screaming fast MAc PRo, loaded with mem, OS on a SSD and all internal HD are7200 and BM decklink card.
PT 12.8.3 .....nop.. not working.... not at all....(waitng for video engine)
BUT then I tried Video slave, and BOOOM!
Disabled the vid engine in PT and suddenly my PT came alive.
Flawless for days now.
My 2 cents
-
AVID here´s a question for you.
How come all other DAW´s work fine with video ?
I kinda get the feeling that all your upgrades on PT have been music orianted and you totally forgot about the audio-post-production (film & tv)
JUst sayin
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Video Video Video .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggiT View Post
I kinda get the feeling that all your upgrades on PT have been music orianted and you totally forgot about the audio-post-production (film & tv)
JUst sayin
You think a whole release that was almost 95% about Dolby Atmos workflow wasn't for audio post-production? And the panners and new multichannel bus structure?
Or the inclusion of clip effects and clip gain which were specific requests from dialogue editors and sfx editors/designers?
Or the import session data new window and presets which were requests from score mixers and re-recording mixers?

I've had zero issue with the video engine for quite a few versions now but I'm not discounting your problems. I also have my video formatted in approved codecs and don't use the BM decklink (which has its own issues). Rather than giving a vague description of your setup could you be more specific: which model of Mac Pro, how much memory (though video doesn't take advantage of this), what driver for the BM decklink card, what Mac OS? Video Slave is a good solution because it is more agnostic to the types of videos it works with but it doesn't mean the AVE is not working for a lot of us.

(As for other DAWS, you've obviously not worked with Logic Pro X. All video has to be in an Apple Intermediary Codec before playback so it converts any format given to it to ProRes --though it doesn't tell you this -- this has to do with the Quicktime X engine. Load a high resolution picture or a long play movie file and watch the system lock up for hours or crash if the overall size gets too big. The whole time telling you nothing about why this is happening. Try to do a clip export with a new mix for one scene out of a reel in Cubase/Nuendo? -- you can't. You can only replace the audio for the full picture. Other DAWs have different issues)

Last edited by BScout; 01-25-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: ...other DAWs
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 AM

true... me and my big mouth on a bad day...
SHould have thought this one through before posting ...
Too much coffee yesterday....

Just been having trouble with video since the upgrade.
BUt now that I disabled the vid eng and using the Videoslave software.. everything works like a charm..

-
Old 01-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggiT View Post
true... me and my big mouth on a bad day...
SHould have thought this one through before posting ...
Too much coffee yesterday....

Just been having trouble with video since the upgrade.
BUt now that I disabled the vid eng and using the Videoslave software.. everything works like a charm..

-
I mean... you're not wrong, though...
AVE is NOT as snappy as QT engine was in PT10...
since it's a separate program run via satellite... it's just not as good.
I use it every day, and it's fine... just not great. Rarely crash anymore... but it's just not snappy...
...for me the convenience of video in the session keeps me away from vid slave.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 PM

You people beed to use a faster hard drive for the video. I use a pcie ssd for video and ave works very fast.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You people beed to use a faster hard drive for the video. I use a pcie ssd for video and ave works very fast.
I do an it's perfectly fine...

...But if you turn off the video track Pro Tools comes to life... so much more responsive. This difference was not a thing pre-AVE. Now with AVE you're always dragging a satellite system around even with just a single system.

Perfectly fine and usable... but could be better (because it used to be).
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 AM

The AVE is tied to the overall system delay, which is to say, it has a start/stop lag that is the inverse of the delay compensation. After trying a million workarounds, including with tech support, there is no way around it. With out a doubt, the most frustrating behavior in an, otherwise, relatively adequate PT version.

We are still in the integration test phase of using Video Slave 3, but I can concur with everyone else who is using it; omg its fricken amazing!!!
Clever, easy to use, and snappy. Brilliant, and yet, still evolving.

I'm confident we will be using it in all of our audio bays within the month.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM

I just wanted to add my 2(euro)cents regarding video inside PT.

Picture quality (motion especially) has never been as good, as it is now with AVE. Working with QT engine (PT10 and lees) was always "hit or miss", especially with dialogs and adrs. Start errors, bad motion, lost frames, etc. etc. So I was not 100% sure, that I have a dead sync or not (yes, I had everything genlocked).
Now, at least for me, it just works.
1 - 2 AVE errors per week. In most cases, I just need to wait appr.10 seconds and I can continue my work.

PT12.4 HD Native, BM Extreme HD card. Video and audio and the same disk.

I worked with Galllery's Virtrual VTR - it was good at the time (2000s).
I also worked with VSLE. It was ok, but pic was not as good, as it should be.

regards,
Kuba