Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The modules could easily become a common rental item for when people need to expand their system for a particular job. Many of the pros I know rent gear when we can rather than own it.
You got to be kidding

How about make it a modular system that people can purchase individual modules instead of forcing packages with modules and stands that some might not use in there individual "build own" system.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
So, I had a S6 demo this morning at the Avid booth @ IBC.
I really dig the modular concept. The modules are boxes with 1 ethernet socket and a 12V 2-pin connector each. You can lay them in an Avid chassis, or a self-built "chassis" if you like.
The knobs (pot-meters / rotatio controllers?) are not finished yet. They feel like you can break them instantly. They are going to be replaced by sturdy ones.
The press buttons are quite small (mixing for children?), and very Euphonix based in function. This makes me going immediately to my biggest critique; It looks like there has been very little to none intention of bringing the ICON straightforward Protools controlling into the S6. The S6 is rather an modern S5 with a touch-screen. I judge this by the lack of an automation knob (touch, latch, etc) and a trim mode knob. Pure basics if mixing In the Box, if you'll ask me. Also a ICON D-Control finest: Custom faders... not there. Avid, how could you forget this? I really think it's a matter of forgetting... There humans too. These functions where so obvious that Avid forgot keep an eye on it on the (I'm sure they are) Euphonix design team.. These designers probably thought all future fixes can be done via software updates on the touchscreen. But mixing is not looking at you desk screens all the time, mixing is looking at the picture, and finding the knobs blind to be able to react. At least, in film mixing.
But.. Avid promised me to implement these (physical) lay-out shortcomings. Not that I'm the most important client, but I'm not the only one. So, guys, if you agree with me, please make clear to Avid that we really want ICON functionalities like automation, trim and custom faders on physical knobs (and not pressing shift and pressing another button three times) for basic mixing..

Furthermore, The touchscreen is awesome ;-) great tracks view, and selecting (focus) them. Can only get better with integrated plugin view and controlling.

Go see the S6 at IBC!
How's the faders cheaper or better than D-Control? Compare to FF???
Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You still haven't come up with a link to the video you talked about with the person showing the interconnections between the modules.

Also while I'm asking for links - how about one to the post about the S6 in an AKA Designs table? Remember I don't hang out in Gearslutz.
Type in Avid S6 into Youtube and view.......it's really simple

Look in this thread where a Avid person created the post....it's really simple

Also, if you view the new posting by "JanuS" and read the 2nd sentence about "Ethernet" connection you will realize the modules connect by Ethernet cable....
Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
So, I had a S6 demo this morning at the Avid booth @ IBC.
I really dig the modular concept. The modules are boxes with 1 ethernet socket and a 12V 2-pin connector each. You can lay them in an Avid chassis, or a self-built "chassis" if you like.
The knobs (pot-meters / rotatio controllers?) are not finished yet. They feel like you can break them instantly. They are going to be replaced by sturdy ones.
The press buttons are quite small (mixing for children?), and very Euphonix based in function. This makes me going immediately to my biggest critique; It looks like there has been very little to none intention of bringing the ICON straightforward Protools controlling into the S6. The S6 is rather an modern S5 with a touch-screen. I judge this by the lack of an automation knob (touch, latch, etc) and a trim mode knob. Pure basics if mixing In the Box, if you'll ask me. Also a ICON D-Control finest: Custom faders... not there. Avid, how could you forget this? I really think it's a matter of forgetting... There humans too. These functions where so obvious that Avid forgot keep an eye on it on the (I'm sure they are) Euphonix design team.. These designers probably thought all future fixes can be done via software updates on the touchscreen. But mixing is not looking at you desk screens all the time, mixing is looking at the picture, and finding the knobs blind to be able to react. At least, in film mixing.
But.. Avid promised me to implement these (physical) lay-out shortcomings. Not that I'm the most important client, but I'm not the only one. So, guys, if you agree with me, please make clear to Avid that we really want ICON functionalities like automation, trim and custom faders on physical knobs (and not pressing shift and pressing another button three times) for basic mixing..

Furthermore, The touchscreen is awesome ;-) great tracks view, and selecting (focus) them. Can only get better with integrated plugin view and controlling.

Go see the S6 at IBC!
Thanks for stopping by to check it out. I really think it makes a huge difference to experience the desk in person. As you said, the units are still prototypes and the build quality will improve dramatically. Some of the color-coding with the LED lights will improve as well.

To be clear, there are many people internally who are representing the best of ICON/Pro Tools workflows and several of the buttons are being changed to accommodate that - (changed from the unit you saw). Many of the software functions you mentioned were not overlooked, they were just not able to make it in the initial release. As always, we appreciate your feedback on feature requests.

We will have a dedicated software team working diligently to release (at a faster cadence) several updates throughout the year.

Thanks again,
T

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
How's the faders cheaper or better than D-Control? Compare to FF???
The faders actually feel even better then a D-Control (so much better then D-Command). So that's great actually... ;-)

I think these are Euphonix faders. I'm not an Euphonix user, but the Avid demo-guy (sorry, forgot his name) told about "carbon brushed", or something like that.. Great stuff, by the feel of it.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
...Many of the software functions you mentioned were not overlooked, they were just not able to make it in the initial release...
A friend of mine is distressed that he was told some of the Icon's custom configuration capabilities aren't there.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The faders actually feel even better then a D-Control (so much better then D-Command). So that's great actually... ;-)

I think these are Euphonix faders. I'm not an Euphonix user, but the Avid demo-guy (sorry, forgot his name) told about "carbon brushed", or something like that.. Great stuff, by the feel of it.
Well, that's good to hear......now have to see if the S6 will be sold as a module system.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
To be clear, there are many people internally who are representing the best of ICON/Pro Tools workflows and several of the buttons are being changed to accommodate that - (changed from the unit you saw). Many of the software functions you mentioned were not overlooked, they were just not able to make it in the initial release.
I'm not sure software improvements will resolve the lack of dedicated hardware solutions, like those automation buttons, e.g. In the past years, I was mixing several projects on both D-Control and S5 and I was always seeing Icon's straightforward integration with Pro Tools as a huge advantage over S5's "universal" approach.
I'll hopefully see the desk during the forthcoming AES in N.Y.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
I'm not sure software improvements will resolve the lack of dedicated hardware solutions, like those automation buttons, e.g. In the past years, I was mixing several projects on both D-Control and S5 and I was always seeing Icon's straightforward integration with Pro Tools as a huge advantage over S5's "universal" approach.
I'll hopefully see the desk during the forthcoming AES in N.Y.
Eucon controllers have to be more "universal" because they control more then just pro tools.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Eucon controllers have to be more "universal" because they control more then just pro tools.
That's not to say there can't be controls on the S6 that are used in PT but aren't used anywheres else. SSL does it on their Duality and AWS series consoles; as a matter of fact a majority of controls (other than actual audio controls) on those are NOT used anywhere else than in PT.

QAPLA!