Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Are you kidding me??????

Just starting to get good with the EA stuff, but where have I missed the following info that says:
Unless you have a solid region, the in-between blank spaces will throw off the rest of the track (snare in my case) and won't move accordingly, because the track is not a solid region? Whaaaaaaaaat??
Also, I can't put a warp marker in the track if it falls in a blank space (meaning the break between two regions) so, because I had one cut in my snare track halfway through the song, the other half of the song is now totally out of whack, and out of whack with the replaced snare that I had nicely playing together
How might one fix this??
Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Are you kidding me??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy35 View Post
Just starting to get good with the EA stuff, but where have I missed the following info that says:
Unless you have a solid region, the in-between blank spaces will throw off the rest of the track (snare in my case) and won't move accordingly, because the track is not a solid region? Whaaaaaaaaat??
Also, I can't put a warp marker in the track if it falls in a blank space (meaning the break between two regions) so, because I had one cut in my snare track halfway through the song, the other half of the song is now totally out of whack, and out of whack with the replaced snare that I had nicely playing together
How might one fix this??
Soundboy,
Just consolidate your track ( I believe it is under file tab), then you will have one compltere region.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Soundboy,
Just consolidate your track ( I believe it is under file tab), then you will have one compltere region.
Opt+shift+3=colsolidate regions.

Scott
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM

The thing is that I didn't realize this until I was half way through the song...
Now I have to go back and match up the snares, consolidate, and then start
to fix again. Once I consolidate the snare track however, I lose all the markers I had,
so I have to remove the originals from the group, and them re-do them.
re-analyze, etc then start to fix!!! Total PITA! Good thing this was my session
and not a client. Lesson learned
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy35 View Post
…Now I have to go back and match up the snares, consolidate, and then start to fix again…
Shave some time off your predicament by importing an earlier, unedited, versions of your snare track(s) from an appropriate file in your “Session Backups” folder.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Shave some time off your predicament by importing an earlier, unedited, versions of your snare track(s) from an appropriate file in your “Session Backups” folder.

IHTH.

THEN consolidate LIsten to Andre!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 AM

Are you trying to EA a track all in one pass? I always chop it up in pieces, anyway. Also, even if you consolidate the whole track you can still keep the part you fixed on a separate playlist and paste it in. Then fix the other half separately. Your work is not lost.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM

Andre, that is probably the best solution, and PM that's a good thought as well.
The thing is that because I've done the other drums for most of the song, the snares won't be alligned right, and they purposely don't all fall on a grid mark. I may just go back to the beginning and start again...lol
I also noticed that when having the drums in a group, I like to mark the kick so that I can place it on the grid, and go from there, but I notice that while EA puts a straight line of markers from top to bottom on the drums, there are other markers (on the drums) that are getting placed well after all the initial hits have happened?
Guess I need to just remove those and get about my business.
Seems like a strange way to work, that you have to do any drum replacing, or cutting, then consolidate all drums, etc and THEN start to use EA

Thank you Gentlemen
Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 AM

I think the other marks you're seeing are the analysis markers. If you have the drums grouped, it analyzes the transients and uses the loudest one as the reference for the warp marker. That's how it keeps the drums all in phase with each other. If it moved all the transients to the grid, you would have a very unnatural sounding track.

Does that make sense?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM

These are definitely warp markers. I could see why the snare or hat could get marked before a kick, etc, but why would it put these other markers before and after everything randonmly, almost like a triangle?
I'm just trying to get it to put a straight line of warp markers from top to bottom, so I can place the kick, etc on the grid. Having to constantly remove these extras is kind of a pain.