Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Problems with my Primary IDE Channel

Hello,

I'm running 6.4 cs9 and 001. I was getting the normal playback errors everyone has been fighting with, so I tried taking out my CD Drive and putting the audio drive on it's own IDE Channel. Well somehow the Primary IDE doesn't work anymore. I've tried different ribbon cables and drives on it, but it won't boot. It either just powers off before launching anything or the monitors will not come on. I can get the system and audio drive to boot on the secondary, but Pro Tools will not launch. DAE Error 1. I've done a clean install of Pro Tools. Can Pro Tools be launched if the system drive is on the secondary IDE as master. I do not have anything attached to the primary. No pins look bent on the primary IDE, but I can't get anything but A CD drive to launch when connected, and even then it crashes if you try to use it. Any help would be appreciated.

Heres what I'm working with:
A8V motherboard
Athlon 64 4400+ Dual Core Processor
ATI Radeon 9600 128Mb DDR 8X Dual Video Card
and 2 Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM
It's running on XP Sp2
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Problems with my Primary IDE Channel

sounds like your primary IDE channel driver might be corrupted!!?? i just did the same thing as you, move my cd and dvd drives from my secondary IDE controller on the mobo to the primary channel on a PCI IDE card. then i moved my audio drive to the secondary IDE channel on the mobo. no problems, but it did take 2 restarts for XP to sort things out with the 'new' hardware and config. what i would try in your case is bootin' from the secondary controller and uninstalling then reinstalling the primary IDE driver. because with you being able to use the cd drive on the primary now says that there's nothin' wrong with the physical channel itself nor the cd driver bein' used on it. so that leads me to the primary ide driver as the possible/most likely source of the problem. hope that helps...mykhal

re-read your post again...might be somethin' physical IF the cd player is crashin'?? i'd still give it a try tho. also, i got rid of those dreaded hardware 9000 errors by my config change and the fact that i changed my system drive to one with a 16mb cache.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 PM

You may also have something not set right on any/all drive jumpers. If you have the jumper set to CableSelect on your boot drive, but it is plugged into the middle connector, the mobo will view it as a slave drive and not boot from it. I know its tedious, but the best way to troubleshoot will be to disconnect all drives except the boot drive, making sure the jumpers are set and the cable is connected correctly. Once that works (the system boots up). start adding other things one at a time. If you have all the jumpers and connectors right, you may discover a bad drive or cable, which I would suspect before an IDE buss failure. As said earlier, XP may have trouble sorting out changes so check your BIOS to see if it is set for auto drive detection.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I've checked the jumpers. I've isolated the problem to the primary by only
using the boot drive, which I can launch fine on the secondary. I'm thinking the primary is toast, but my original question is will Pro Tools launch if your system drive is running on the Secondary IDE? I keep getting DAE Error -1. I reinstalled, trashed prefs etc...

Thanks,
Brad
Old 06-16-2007, 03:42 PM

go to...
1) Control Panel=>Perf and Main=>Admin Tools=>Event Viewer=>System Log

this should help troubleshoot your problem a bit more, bein' able to see the errors messages that the system is logging.

sorry, don't have an answer for your other question. but i would think that if your system is CONSTANTLY polling your primary ide because of 'some' failure, or your device is constantly reporting a failure, then i would not be surprised that PTLE does not like nor can handle the constant interrupts. your system log should give some insight into what's failing. just my 2cents

Old 06-16-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses.

I've checked the jumpers. I've isolated the problem to the primary by only
using the boot drive, which I can launch fine on the secondary. I'm thinking the primary is toast, but my original question is will Pro Tools launch if your system drive is running on the Secondary IDE? I keep getting DAE Error -1. I reinstalled, trashed prefs etc...

Thanks,
Brad
There is no reason that you cant run PT from your system disk if its on the secondary controller. Mykhal has a good point bout checking the log files. Another thing to try would be to simply reistall the latest IDE drivers for your board. Its also possible that your PT woes are due to the fact that your secondary IDE controller may be soon to follow the primary controllers foot steps.

Also if you have nothing currently on the primary controller disabling it in the Device Manager and then reanabling it may cause windows to reload the right drivers for it. If windows installed the wrong driver back when you first changed things around then selecting the next one down in the driver properties list may help. (or not) Also compare the driver listed in the driver properties box to the working one on the secondary, are they the same?

I would reinstall your chipset drivers at this point that stands the best chance of clearing up your problem if its driver related.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Also if you have nothing currently on the primary controller disabling it in the Device Manager and then reanabling it may cause windows to reload the right drivers for it. If windows installed the wrong driver back when you first changed things around then selecting the next one down in the driver properties list may help. (or not) Also compare the driver listed in the driver properties box to the working one on the secondary, are they the same?

good points sunburst...