Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 PM

Default Importing Mp3 Audio Issue

Hey guys, new to protools and mixing so please be easy.

My issue is when i import a song from itunes to play and record a drum cover over it always is too loud. The bar (sorry if i dont know the terms) stays peaking at red throughout the whole song causing distortion. Even when I lower the knob, although the noise level decreases, it still stays at peaking red level. Sorry if this is hard to understand. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Ps. Im running 7 mics through a saphire pro 40 with a firewire connecting to the computer if that means anything. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Importing Mp3 Audio Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynowry View Post
Hey guys, new to protools and mixing so please be easy.

My issue is when i import a song from itunes to play and record a drum cover over it always is too loud. The bar (sorry if i dont know the terms) stays peaking at red throughout the whole song causing distortion. Even when I lower the knob, although the noise level decreases, it still stays at peaking red level. Sorry if this is hard to understand. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Ps. Im running 7 mics through a saphire pro 40 with a firewire connecting to the computer if that means anything. Thanks.
Hi, Hard to tell exactly what's going on, but the audio in the mp3 has probably been highly compressed and normalized 100% to get the highest level and least amount of dynamic range, as is typical these days (unfortunately). The meter is going to show the level of the audio file, even if you bring the fader down. Have you created a Master fader for your mix? If so, you should be able to set a good output level without the mix clipping (distorting).

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Importing mp3 issue protools 10 (drum cover)

The file that you are playing drums over is distorting?

If you are on pro tools 10 or higher you can try lowering the clip gain. In the edit window there is a little picture of a fader in the bottom left corner of the clip. Click it with your mouse and you will see a fader pop up. Lower it and this will turn down the volume before the signal hits the main fader. You should see the waveform shrink as you lower the clip gain.

Pt 9 or lower, you'll have to select the clip and open use the audiosuite gain plugin.

I hope that helps (if i understood correctly)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I tried lowering the fader and gain but not having any luck. I feel that im just doing a beginners mistake. I attached an img of what my mix looks like in the edit window. I've been trying to get it to not clip for the longest time. Even when i get the master fader down to the (-10,-6) range it still clips at times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 3.08.36 PM.jpg (79.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Welcome to the world that is modern Rock / Pop Mastering.

Loud LOUD LOUD!

I take it when you pull the fader down, the volume is reduced, it's just the metering that is staying pinned in the red?

In that case you just need to set the metering option to "Post Fader".

There's nothing actually going wrong, it's just the meters are currently displaying the level of the source, regardless of where the fader is set (pre-fader metering).

Switch it to post fader metering, and you'll see the effect the faders are having - the track's "volume" will be the same regardless of how it's set.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Welcome to the world that is modern Rock / Pop Mastering.

Loud LOUD LOUD!

I take it when you pull the fader down, the volume is reduced, it's just the metering that is staying pinned in the red?

In that case you just need to set the metering option to "Post Fader".

There's nothing actually going wrong, it's just the meters are currently displaying the level of the source, regardless of where the fader is set (pre-fader metering).

Switch it to post fader metering, and you'll see the effect the faders are having - the track's "volume" will be the same regardless of how it's set.
That was it thank you!!! Such a newbie mistake i guess. In regards to clipping however, it shouldnt be occuring as long as the master fader is kept in check correct?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:

That was it thank you!!!
No problem.

Quote:

In regards to clipping however, it shouldnt be occuring as long as the master fader is kept in check correct?

Only in terms of final output.

If for example you took your current backing track (which is already at the limits of clipping), inserted an EQ plug-in and started boosting the EQ, you'd be clipping the output of that plugin.

You might follow it with other plug-in processors, all the time further distorting the signal with clipping.

If you were to then attenuate the Master Fader, the output level would not be clipping, but the signal would still sound distorted and horrible.

There are ways to get lazy, and not worry about this once inside the DAW (using 32bit floating point files) but I highly recommend you stick to 24bit fixed point files (at least until you understand the whole process thoroughly), and learn about gain staging - it has so many other advantages, but fundamentally will stop you getting in to trouble in the first place, as well as enabling you to troubleshoot problems, should they arise.