Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Reason Upgrade to 10 for $99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Jack, I understand how VEPro works. My point is how is that better than just running Reason stand alone along with a PT session, and just using virtual MIDI and loopback audio to lay down tracks? Either way, you still have to route MIDI into Reason from PT and get the audio back out to PT to lay down tracks. Is there $299 worth of advantage?
Couple of things - you can run vst's in Reason when it's inside VEPro. The second is stability and a better ability to use all the cpu cores one has which PT on it's own can't do. The ability to run 32 bit plugins inside PT. PLus if you ever want to run a second machine it's THE way to go.

Actually a third - you don't have to deal with the vagaries of Rewire.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Couple of things - you can run vst's in Reason when it's inside VEPro. The second is stability and a better ability to use all the cpu cores one has which PT on it's own can't do. The ability to run 32 bit plugins inside PT. PLus if you ever want to run a second machine it's THE way to go.

Actually a third - you don't have to deal with the vagaries of Rewire.
Jack - thanks for the further explanations. What do you notice better where stability is concerned? Also, are there any audio latency issues when you want to convert to an audio track?

How does accessing additional cores effect over all performance?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Jack - thanks for the further explanations. What do you notice better where stability is concerned? Also, are there any audio latency issues when you want to convert to an audio track?

How does accessing additional cores effect over all performance?

Thanks
VI's that are wonky in PT like Omnisphere don't lock up in VEPro like they do in PT. If something in VEPro does lock up it doesn't take out the PT session. Also I don't see the cpu fluctuations when running vi's inside VEPro as I do in PT.

As far as accessing all cores in VEPro I can run more heavy cpu usage plugins like Kontakt 5 with heavy scripting libraries/sounds than in PT. I don't see one or a couple of cores overloading like I would in PT.

Granted it's not an easy program to wrap one's head around; when I started with it I actually sat down and mapped out on paper (imagine that) the routings from PT to VEPro and back just to keep things straight. This is the one thing Vienna's documentation falls flat on and for me I've found going old-school like I did keeps my head screwed on straight.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
VI's that are wonky in PT like Omnisphere don't lock up in VEPro like they do in PT. If something in VEPro does lock up it doesn't take out the PT session. Also I don't see the cpu fluctuations when running vi's inside VEPro as I do in PT.

As far as accessing all cores in VEPro I can run more heavy cpu usage plugins like Kontakt 5 with heavy scripting libraries/sounds than in PT. I don't see one or a couple of cores overloading like I would in PT.

Granted it's not an easy program to wrap one's head around; when I started with it I actually sat down and mapped out on paper (imagine that) the routings from PT to VEPro and back just to keep things straight. This is the one thing Vienna's documentation falls flat on and for me I've found going old-school like I did keeps my head screwed on straight.
Thank you for that explanation. I may look into it down the road. My first priority right now, though, is I plan to build an whole new system with a lot more CPU power, among other things. I've been pricing things out and have a list of the components I want to include. And I have a guy (an expert at this stuff) who can build it for me. I don't have enough know how for that. Once I have the new system in a few months, I'll see where I stand and determine what new apps (if any) I might need to run my rig best.

I haven't yet taken the plunge into Kontakt, but as I do more in the video/game/film score area, I have a feeling I'll need to, if only to be able to use some of the great sample libraries out there for it, like 8dio among others.

Thanks again for filling me in.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Upgrade is a great deal, but since I haven't fired up reason in a while I forgot about the Codemeter auth system if you're not online. Not a deal breaker, but not welcome

Quote:
Running Reason in VEPro is not running it in Rewire slave mode. It runs like any other synth hosted in VEPro or PT. Rewire protocol has nothing to do with working inside VEPro.
How are you doing this without the 3rd party plug Rewire-VST? Reason doesn't appear as an available VST plug in VEP. Otherwise you're just using rewire wrapped in a VST adapter.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
....I forgot about the Codemeter auth system if you're not online. Not a deal breaker, but not welcome

I read that online is only for download and authorization

You don’t have to remain online to run R10 do you?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I read that online is only for download and authorization

You don’t have to remain online to run R10 do you?
If you have the Ignition Key dongle that comes with Reason inserted on a USB port, then no, you don't have to be online. If you don't have the key on a USB port, then you need to get authorization online.

If there's a way to download your authorization codes and store on your OS drive, I'm not aware of that. Maybe someone else would know.

I have the key on my studio rig, so never give it a thought. But I have second installation on my laptop, which I use mainly to create sounds I'm using when I play at my church, and for that I have to have an internet connection to boot up Reason since I don't carry my Ignition Key around with me.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM

You can authorize the computer, but you have to install the Codemeter runtime app - it does not require a key also. If you don't want to do that, you can just sign into your account each time you run the program.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
If there's a way to download your authorization codes and store on your OS drive, I'm not aware of that. Maybe someone else would know.

There isn’t.

You either use the dongle or you log in and auth while your computer is online.

Never tried logging in and disconnecting the network connection so can’t comment on that. It might work. I’ll try to remember to test that when in front of my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM

You can authorize the computer with out a key and you can run Reason 10 offline. Install Codemeter runtime --> log into your account at Propellerheads --> Under your products click the Authorize button and follow instructions to store licenses to your computer.
Closed Thread