Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Strike not playing well with playback engine

got strike in a session, works fine. but if i try to change any settings in the playback engine i hear a pop and there is no audio. i know its a strike problem cause when i get the pop, all the fader meter show noise except strike. also i have no problems if strike is either inactive or not in a session.

any help would be great.

im on 8.0.1. anyone else getting this?

help!!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Strike not playing well with playback engine

I'm still working out Strike, too. But what you've described is merely the resources maxxing out.

In other words, you have to play with the settings, both in Strike (the "wrench" menu), as well as in PT itself (RAM buffer, etc.).

I have been playing around with these, and it's possible to get rid of the pops and drop outs, although it's also affected by what ever else you have running (like other Virtual instruments) that are sucking up the available RAM, processor, etc.

Hang in there!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM

i have 16 gb ram and 8 cores!!! also i noticed that if i switch the outputs of any 3rd party plugs, sound comes back. but of corse i dont get the sound of the plugs.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM

For me, anytime I change the settings for playback engine, I have to shut PT down and restart it.... or I get no sound from anything.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:45 PM

thats the same thing im getting!! i hate to say it but im glad im not the only one with this problem.

i hope this is something avid knows about.
its a pretty big thing i would think.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM

Is this a Mac only issue, cause I do not see this on XP. Maybe one of you guys could fill-in a bug report.

filosofem
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Is this a Mac only issue, cause I do not see this on XP. Maybe one of you guys could fill-in a bug report.

filosofem
I'm using XP... never realized it was anything more than inconvenient. Change settings, restart the prog to make the new settings take effect. I just thought that's how it worked..

Hmmmmm......................
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Yes it is resources maxing out. AIR has access to a MAX 4gb of RAM on a Mac. It simply is a case of adjusting your session/Strike settings.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 PM

ok russ, well i watch your vids, i love em. i sit and watch them in batches at a time, and i learn a lot. but i have some questions... what are you running? whats your set up, and what are your setting? more importantly, what are the problems you have with your PT software? are you constantly running out of resources? please help us all out and tell us your PT Le secrets. or are you just as lost, or more importantly, just as frustrated as us? i ask with all sincerity.

another question. open to anyone.
If PT is so resource hungry, why havent they made a 64 bit version so you can use all your resources? another example of hardware light years in front of the software it runs.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleave View Post
ok russ, well i watch your vids, i love em. i sit and watch them in batches at a time, and i learn a lot.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleave View Post
what are you running? whats your set up, and what are your setting? more importantly, what are the problems you have with your PT software? are you constantly running out of resources? please help us all out and tell us your PT Le secrets. or are you just as lost, or more importantly, just as frustrated as us? i ask with all sincerity.
OK, my main set-up;
002R FW connected to my Macbook Pro 1st Gen 1.83 Dual running 2gb of memory. All session stored on an Iomega External 500gb FW Hard Drive.

I track at 128/256 and mix at 1024,always 85% 1 processor.

Secrets, or should I say things to be sure of.
You have your machine set up as outlined in Digi's set-up guide

Secondly and one of the biggest issue is make sure you use good memory. Most problems usually point at bad memory. I use Crucial, but other's may have alternative sources. The best way to check memory is if you've added memory then pull it out and see how PT performs without it.

Thirdly: Firewire, as far as I understand (someone more intelligent correct me if I'm wrong) if daisy-chained works on a first come first served basis, so if another item in the chain grabs the bandwidth then the drive serving your session may not provide the data from disk fast enough.

So in answer to your question do I get resource issues? Sometimes, but I usually just hit the OK button, increase resources and move on and it's fine. If it was as bad as some suggest hen I would have moved on a long time ago.

I hope that helps!

Founder of the Expert Sites.